1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help! Benchmade 560-1 Freek slamming shut

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Elijah5, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Elijah5

Elijah5

Jun 7, 2019
    So recently my benchmade knife has started to slam shut when I close it. It was not doing this before. I cleaned and re oiled my pivot, and I made sure all the screws were tight, and adjusted my pivot. Id like to hold off on sending my knife to benchmade until im sure i cant fix it myself because im in canada. Thanks!

2. teddyashe

teddyashe Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Slamming shut?

3. Elijah5

Elijah5

Jun 7, 2019
    when i close the knife it closes really hard. It did not used to do this

4. wardcleaver

wardcleaver Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 17, 2017
  5. Elijah5

Elijah5

Jun 7, 2019
  6. teddyashe

Oct 29, 2009
    Does it lock up solidly? The axis bar pulls double duty as lockbar when open and bladestop in the closed position.

7. teddyashe

Oct 29, 2009
    Also, does the edge contact the spacers when it slams shut?

8. Elijah5

Elijah5

Jun 7, 2019
    No, nothing is contacting the spacers. Also yes the lock up is fine. Thanks!

9. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Just broken in?

jux t and TheEdge01 like this.
  10. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    This^^^^^^^
    If your blade lock up is solid, then it is just broken in. No issue whatsoever with the knife. In fact, I prefer axis lock knives to freely fall shut. Just remember to keep your fingers out of the path of the blade.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  11. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Are you sure the Omega springs were properly installed when you reassembled it?

12. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    It's supposed to do this. There are those of us who spend hours trying to get our knives to slam shut, or as the proper term is "fall shutty".

TheEdge01 likes this.
  13. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Are you talking about a free-falling blade when the AXIS bar is pulled back... or are you saying the blade hangs up at a particular point, and then "slams shut" like it's spring-assisted? I've had one or two AXIS lock knives where the blade hangs up at a point in the closing procedure, then seems to "push" past the hang-up and slam close. Didn't bother me, particularly, I just considered it an idiosyncrasy of that particular knife. Never affected the open lockup or the detent when closed, so I didn't worry about it.

14. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Send it to me, I'll take a look at it for a few years and then send it back after I determine whether it's ok or not.

15. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I can understand that some users may find such a low-resistance pivot disadvantageous due to lack of direct control of the blade when closing.

That said, the majority of users actively seek such fluidity of motion, as it allows for very easy one-handed operation. My advice would be to learn to close the knife entirely via wrist movement and operation of the axis lock in such a manner that the blade does not move faster than desired.

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  16. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Is this dude trying to say "drop shut" just in Canadian? :p

palonej, Peakbagger46 and colin.p like this.
  17. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    "Drop Shut-eh" in Canadian.

palonej, Sharp & Fiery and WValtakis like this.
  18. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I assume this is like the sensation one gets from a slipjoint as it closes. If my BM's "slammed shut" I would be happy. One of my biggest beefs with the axis lock design is that the blade easily comes open if you flick it, or drop it on a kitchen floor. I still really like the lock, but I would prefer it stay closed better.

All of my axis locks have close very softly compared to backlocks or slippies. But, much harder to flick a backlock or slippie too, so pick your preference. I suppose a flipper would be a happy medium with a stiff detente, I just don't care for flippers generally.

OP, I think you're fine though. Maybe post a short video of what it's doing, if you can.

19. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    If there is no side play of the blade, slamming shut should be a good thing, to most people on this forum.

20. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    If you are looking for a blade to slowly sink into the handle like on some ball bearing frame locks or liner locks the AXIS lock won't do this (that I'm aware of). Additionally, the larger/heavier the blade, the more inertia it has do act a little different than the smaller, lighter blades in their corresponding lock designs.

Edit: If you release the Axis lock bar before the blade comes fully down, it should give a slight cushion/friction to the blade falling. It shouldn't really matter unless your blade is bouncing back out of the handle before you let go of the Axis lock bar. That might be a closing technique issue.