Help Deciding on a Sheath Style

Hi, I am a knifemaker and I recently made my brother a little edc for christmas. I haven't made a sheath for it yet because I wasn't sure how he would want to carry it, and he isn't really sure either. I was hoping to get some feedback, advice, or recommendations for a sheath style and material that would be suitable for this knife.

It is 6.5" OAL, with a 3" blade, and 1.25" blade height. The handle is on the thicker side. The blade is also etched and hollow ground, so a sheath that won't scratch the blade or disturb the more delicate edge is preferred.

Here's some pictures to get a better idea of the size and shape of the blade:
NGJ5f59.jpg

Ohc7vFf.jpg

JcYtLkN.jpg

PuKIVm7.jpg

FIJDLzR.jpg

My brother says he would prefer to conceal carry inside the waistband with a sheath that can be removed without taking your belt off. The only way I could think of doing this would be with a leather sheath with a kydex clip, but I'm not sure if that's possible to do. He also was maybe interested in a slim pancake sheath or horizontal carry sheath that would go outside the waistband.

If anyone with experience carrying knives similar in size to this one or making sheaths for knives like this has any advice on what style of sheath would be good, good material for sheath, or methods for producing sheaths that would be relevant here, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Grant

Welcome Grant, to Sheaths and Such. Very nice knife. One suggestion both as a knife maker and a sheath maker I would have is to round the edges of your finger groove where the damascus leaves the handle all the way down to the heel. I'd slightly round the heel as well. First its gonna be easier on your brother's hand and also easier on the sheath. For good retention that heel needs to run up and over a cam on the welt of the sheath and that current sharp edge on the heel there will cut into the leather.

All the types of sheaths you mentioned would be viable for this knife:

There's one riding in my back pocket that would work as an IWB:

7u9a2zs.jpg

byDZhRK.jpg

Both a pancake or a horizontal sheath would also work. So really it comes down to where and how your brother would like to carry his knife:

Pancakes:

OIhdaqz.jpg

5eqw8m5.jpg

ixs4PVy.jpg

I personally prefer the horizontal carry and have for a couple of decades. I always carry that way:

SKQFoxn.jpg

Its just out of the way for me:

2HBvCh1.jpg

rqTKTGt.jpg

Others do too:

0F53fw6.jpg

dWI5LHw.jpg

3SxEXyj.jpg

b6yFrI9.jpg

My booth babes at a show:

pONgqox.jpg

Anyhoo really think it comes down to what your brother would like.

Wow, thank you very much for the detail in your post! As a knifemaker I have a LOT more experience with making knives than sheaths, I've rounded choils on my knives before for comfort, but never really thought about how it affects how the knife interacts with the leather of the sheath. I'll pass along the info to my brother and see what he thinks, thanks again for the help I really appreciate it :)

Back