Help for better pictures Nick...

Nick,

Here is a link to a very simple light tent. With lights this one cost me well under 50 dollars to build. If you have lights and an old white sheet - it will cost under 3 dollars.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Tips I can add past that:

1) The more lights the better. Brighter is better.

LightBox007.jpg

I have added three more lights since this early picture.

2) You don't need an expensive camera.
3) Use the Macro setting (usually a little flower) if you can't get it to focus in tight.
4) Put random cool shit in your light tent. Rocks, feathers, feather sticks, small children - whatever you think would look cool.
5) Use a white background to get your stuff to POP off the page.

SS25StockClassFeed009.jpg

Crumpled brown paper makes it look like sand, and old lighter piece of material looks cool.

SmallSakPouchSheath001.jpg

However, the more dark you go with your background colors - the more light you need to get your stuff to look good.
6) Make the largest legs in the tutorial - for comfort.
7) Turn off your flash - you won't need it.
8) Use a simple editing program (like Microsoft picture) to edit. If you have more - use more.
9) Use the manual setting and use the white balance process (read the manual) if your pics are turning out too much like the background color.
10) Use alligator clips to hold your stuff on. I use about 5.

That is about it. I get decent pics and I use a 7.1 megapixel simple point and shoot Cannon.

I hope this helps bro.

TF

Sweet:thumbup: Thanks man. I will for sure be making one of these this weekend. The thing is, I do have an expensive camera, I got about $1200.00 into the whole package, this may seem like a crapy camera to some, but it was the best I could afford. It's a Cannon XSI.

Nick:)

Here is the deal then. Set up that tent. FLOOD it with light. Set up the camera on a stand... and if you can - LEAVE IT.

Then when you finish ANYTHING - it is all set up - ready to rock. Just drop in the item - snap two photos - and download the pics.

I cover my tent with a small blanket when I am in the shop - and I am ready to rock when I need it.

Let me know how it goes.

Crappy my ass - my camera cost 75 dollars! You should be KILLING the photo's after this tent!

One last thing. I did sew the blanket like the tutorial said - but it is not necessary. It does get rid of unwanted shadows though.

TF

This is the one I built with a sheet of plywood (lots left over), two 2x4's a bed sheet and a bunch of 5 dollar construction lights from Home Depot.

ps33-vi.jpg

Back