1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help I am Dumb

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by dead on day one, Jul 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dead on day one

dead on day one

Jul 14, 2019
    So I was cleaning my blade when for some reason I washed it with hot water and dish washer soap and it stained the blade.Any way to get rid of it?

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    What steel??

What knife?

Stains on polished steel are pretty easy to remove with aluminum oxide compound. High polish, fine grit.

I have a loaded strop and will use the polish to clean off stains on a patina-ed blade if I want to keep it shiny.

3. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Pics would help, too.

4. dead on day one

dead on day one

Jul 14, 2019
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have no idea what steel it is but here's the blade

5. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    Looks more like lime or deposits from dish soap.
    Do they stay if you wash the blade again, rinse with water thoroughly, and wipe before being dried?
    Otherwise, you can follow the recommendation by Bigfattyt.

6. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    I can't see your pis for some reason ( probably on my end )
    If the blade is uncoated, try Flitz or similar metal polish.

7. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    I guess the OP put the links with the IMG tag, but the OP is not a paid member.
    Here is one of the pics.

Test.jpg

8. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Good lord no! You want something much milder than that! You should be thinking more like metal polish, not sandpaper. They carry Braso at that store and while it says for all metals, I'd lean more toward something for stainless steel.Maybe flitz or the like.

r8shell likes this.
  9. dead on day one

dead on day one

Jul 14, 2019
    give me links to where I get get the stuff(and I sprayed Jig-a-loo on it to try and get it out so it's coated)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  10. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Bar Keepers Friend should clean that right up. A mild abrasive polish like Flitz, Metal-Glo, or Mothers Mag&Aluminum will also work on that finish.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    In a pinch try toothpaste and a paper towel.

If not, get some Simichrome or Flitz paste.

The right answer of course is to leave it alone and let it patina with use, unless you bought it fer lookin at.

12. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    I am thinking Bar Keeper's Friend or Crest Tooth Paste.

13. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Hardware store.

14. dead on day one

dead on day one

Jul 14, 2019
    Thanks it’s gone

lessismore and Ripcord 82 like this.
  15. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Lol, I guess that's one way to take care of it.:D

16. lessismore

lessismore Enjoy Every Sandwich Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    You're welcome.

r8shell likes this.