Help ID this Camillus fighting knife

I just picked up this at a flea market last weekend for $45. It's the first Camillus fighter that I ran across, so I figured why not since the man was only asking $45. I really don't know much about Camillus since their era was before my time. I think it's a reproduction since it's in very good condition, but from what I've researched, it looks like a piece from 40s. The condition of this knife is way too nice for something that old. I still want to guess that it's a modern reproduction, but the reproduction examples I've looked at online are only marked USMC not USN. Is this one of the small lesser known batch of reproductions that are marked USN MK2 or is this actually something from the 40s that manage to get stuck back? Would the blade steel on this just 1095 like the Kabars? If it is the real deal from the 40s, should I keep it in this condition or honor a good blade by putting it to use? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Untitled by Hairlesstwinkie, on Flickr

No reproduction. It's a genuine WW2 U.S. NAVY MKII. That sheath in that condition is worth more than you paid for both, good job.

oh wow. Thanks! It's hard to believe that it's in this condition for that old. I guess it's one of the left over ones in storage that were sold later? What were the blade steels used on them? Should I keep it nice or throw it on my belt and use it?

Pretty safe to say that the steel used at the time was 1095. IMHO, it's hard to say what you should do with your knife. If it were mine it would become a "safe queen", but that's me, I like the history they represent.

DCP_1419.jpg
DCP_1421.jpg
DCP_1420.jpg
DCP_1422.jpg

IMHO, I don't believe they ever made a reproduction of the Navy or U.S.N. marked knives, just the U.S.M.C., and those have all been blade marked. Even during the WW2 production if you look closely you'll see small differences through out the production.

I guess you're right. Something in this good of a shape should be stored back. I have ka bars to satisfy my needs, but I like the sheath a lot more than the leather ones.

Presuming the knife and scabbard were issued together (and it is quite likely that they were), you can date this knife to 1944. The Mark 2 sheath began to enter service in early 1944 and the marking changed to the guard prior to 1945, so the only time they could have been issued together was 1944.

The number 4723 on this sheath is the order number for the first order of these sheaths, November 1943. I don't have any data on when the order shipped to the Navy, though. Obviously, no sooner than December of 1943, unless they were already making them before the final order was signed, always a possibility for WW2.

With a heavily used knife, there would be the possibility that the sheath was a "re-issue" for a leather sheath that had rotted or a NORD sheath that had been damaged. This knife is too pristine to have ever seen actual field use. The sheath and knife could also have sat around in warehouses somewhere until issued way later. Mk2s/1219C2s from WW2 were still on shelves in various Naval Supply Depots as late as Viet Nam.

From this old Camillus document it looks like Camillus got the change for the sheath on Dec 17, 1943. Don't know what the lead time likely was for such items showing up in the theater of operations.

file-38.jpg

Reactions: vba
Yup, too rare of a find to use. I'd also suggest not storing it in the sheath if you are going to take it outa lot to fondle, those sheaths can mark up a blade easily.

Tom Forest Surplus was still selling mint Camillus MK-II's in the bag with a Shotgun News ad through the early 70s.

Back