Help identifying 3 old folders

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by CaseSharktooth, Jan 4, 2021.

1. CaseSharktooth

CaseSharktooth

Jan 19, 2016
    Hi guys, I’m looking for some help identifying the make/age of these 3 knives.. the wood one has a tang stamp G.felix Solingen which I was able to find some info on via a google search but the other 2 I can’t find anything. The one with the yellow bone handles is the oldest I would say, I’m guessing 1800s because it has a horse shoe pick that unfolds. The master blade doesn’t appear to have a tang stamp but the smaller blade says “Man Hatten cutlery co”. The stag handled lock back is the one I’m most interested in, it seems like a really high quality knife, locks up solid as can be but there doesn’t appear to be a tang stamp. The only thing I can make out is a small proof mark looking stamp that looks like a flame. I tried a google search and couldn’t find anything. I would presume it’s German made but just a guess. Got all 3 of them for 5 bucks at flea market.
    Any help or info is greatly appreciated thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

afishhunter and solphilos like this.
  2. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I copied and pasted some of your pics to my forum in UK as one of the members has a passion for German vintage:

Middle one is Gustav Felix Gloriawerk Solingen,

The Company was founded in 1790, in 1810 - first pocket knife was made, after this date

pocket kives started to be main product of the company. In the end of XIX century started to produce scissors and kitchen knives too.

Company grew rapidly, export to Northern Europe, America, later to Eastern Europe and Russia.

During World War II - company produced daggers for nazi officers.

Main buildings were destryed by bombs in 1944, but after War production didn't stop.

In 1955 new factory was estabilished. In 2012 ZEPTER bought the company - still producing kitchen knives Felix Solingen.

I do not know Manhattan Cutlery, and about company I've found only this:

"The 'Manhattan Cutlery Co.' was a trademark of Boker of Solingen from 1868-1919. Not to be confused with the 'Manhattan Cutlery Co. Sheffield.' who were a British company owned by J.M. Watts around the same time, although they may have been importers/agents for Boker I guess..."

Found it here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum…ns/fighting-knife-279536/

3. peanutsxx

peanutsxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    CaseSharktooth likes this.
  4. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I do apologise @CaseSharktooth if my post and info wasn't what you were seeking...

CaseSharktooth likes this.
  5. CaseSharktooth

CaseSharktooth

Jan 19, 2016
    No, i do appreciate your reply, thank you very much. I will keep digging around, I have several old books on traditional pocket knife patterns and manufacturers, when I get home from work tonight I plan on digging out my books and I’ll see if I can find any more info on them. Thanks again