Help identifying my Kukri?

Hello all,

I have been handed down this Kukri by my grandmother which originally belonged to my grandfather's brother. He was a Major serving in the British armed forces and travelled the world regularly as part of his service, I am still trying to find out more information on him but I do know he travelled to Nepal.

The Kukri is unfortunately a bit rusty and looks a little worse for wear having been stored in a shed but I intend to restore it (if anyone has any tips and advice on restoration or could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it).

It is stamped '69' on the blade, my first guess was that this is the year of production?

If anyone could give me some information on this piece it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. :)

That's a Mark 5 type kukri that's been in service from the 60's - , as both an issued and private purchase model. 69 might be the year of manufacture. Here's the best quick reference on military kukries you'll find - http://www.ikrhs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1201 .

As for cleaning it, try some oil on a rough rag, that will sometimes remove a surprising amount of grime and rust. If that doesn't work move up to a polish like Flitz or simichrome. And if that doesn't work, move up to a mix of copper wool and oil(or polish). That's easiest and least harmful way to remove small patches of rust. Once clean, just oil with mineral oil.

Back