Help identifying old knife

Hello porch dwellers. A relative of my wife sent her a pic of his dad's old knife. The only thing he can make out on the tang is "PROV R.I." Does anyone have any idea what company made this Stockman, and about what year? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
qGOtQpn.jpg

The only Providence Rhode Island knife maker I know of is COLONIAL KNIFE CORP est. 1926
Do a search for "Colonial Stockman" and there are some images really similar.
EDIT: COLONIAL is still in business too. I just purchased a Navy Mark 1 fixed blade from them.
Shoot them an email with a pic if you decide it might be one of theirs and maybe they can help you with the year and maybe other info.

Imperial was another major knife maker based in Providence for quite a while. Google "Imperial tang stamps" and you can find charts that might be helpful to your wife's relative in trying to "see" more of the tang stamp.

There was also a Providence Cutlery Company in RI once upon a time.

- GT

Colonial or Imperial ... maybe Hammer Brand, after Imperial-Schrade bought NYKC and Hammer Brand at a bankruptcy auction in the 1930's. I'm not sure where the Imperial-Schrade Hammer Brand knives were made.

Back