Help identifying saber, please!?

I have searched everywhere and can’t find a saber with this exact handle. There is only one marking below handle that is hardly legible (pictured). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Very much resembles an 1837 Ames Contract but can’t find an exact match. Thank you!
wGr0X1J_d.webp

eW8XGAF_d.webp

PM4Ddk5_d.webp

wGDxuwY_d.webp

O0GgkJE_d.webp

8KYsM45_d.webp

UvHSgEb_d.webp

What does an Ames 1937 saber look like? If you are regarding an 1837 contract of the m1833, I don't see a lot of resemblance aside from being a curved blade with wholly different mounts. Even the blade type itself is completely different.
https://civilwardagger.com/product/...ss-mounted-m1833-dragoon-saber-with-scabbard/

That distraction aside, I'll poke around but will say it is not a US pattern, or common to US militia use.

Cheers
GC

It has a pretty short blade (dimensions you might share). A possible Italian police sword, early 20th century.

It is 30” long, handle 3.25” wide and 5.5” long. Not sure what measurements would help best. Thank you!

Blade length. Center of the blade to the point in a straight line. My mental guess was 24". The first thoughts elsewhere was Italian infantry late 19th century but that doesn't fit with what I usually see.

Cheers
GC

What does an Ames 1937 saber look like? If you are regarding an 1837 contract of the m1833, I don't see a lot of resemblance aside from being a curved blade with wholly different mounts. Even the blade type itself is completely different.
https://civilwardagger.com/product/...ss-mounted-m1833-dragoon-saber-with-scabbard/

That distraction aside, I'll poke around but will say it is not a US pattern, or common to US militia use.

Cheers
GC
Blade length. Center of the blade to the point in a straight line. My mental guess was 24". The first thoughts elsewhere was Italian infantry late 19th century but that doesn't fit with what I usually see.

Cheers
GC

Thank you for your help! You weren’t far off, 23.5”.

That was really my first impression. A civilian branch of government and parts of the hilt strike me as Italian (or one of several sates/kingdoms). There are other countries nearby. I don't believe it to be South American......but.

Cheers
GC

It's a type of European police hanger I think, one that I've never seen before, it has a distinctive node in the middle of the knuckle bow guard and the acorn motif on the scabbard is interesting. It has the usual brass scabbard chape, that is very common among 90% of victorian period police hangers from Europe and Britain. You can usually spot a hanger scabbard by that feature, as most full length sabres do not have the brass chape, where as the police hangers usually all have them.
Short police sabres are called hangers over here, this is an unusual example. Sorry I can't help you witht he exact type, I've never seen this type of hilt before.

It's a type of European police hanger I think, one that I've never seen before, it has a distinctive node in the middle of the knuckle bow guard and the acorn motif on the scabbard is interesting. It has the usual brass scabbard chape, that is very common among 90% of victorian period police hangers from Europe and Britain. You can usually spot a hanger scabbard by that feature, as most full length sabres do not have the brass chape, where as the police hangers usually all have them.
Short police sabres are called hangers over here, this is an unusual example. Sorry I can't help you witht he exact type, I've never seen this type of hilt before.
Thank you!

I do know somebody who will probably be able to identify your sword, one of my instructors, he knows more about Victorian era swords than anybody i've ever met, go over to Matt Eastons forum and ask him, somebody over there will know what it is.
Where would I go to find that forum?

Back