Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Olamic Wayfarer Harpoon 3.5"

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • Rick Hinderer Fatty XM-18 3.5"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Rick Hinderer XM-18 3.0" Tanto

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
The rainmaker isn't a midtech, and isn't in the same price bracket as your poll choices. I agree with Litu: start with an Olamic 247.

Try the midtech Wayfarer 247 for a starter blade. Those are mid-tech and can come in at a relatively low price to begin with if you choose not to customize it. It'd be a good opportunity to check out the Olamic brand without jumping into a full custom knife that you might later find yourself displeased with. Something that I personally have noticed is that the 247 model has a good blade for easy sharpening, while the more customized 247H has a slight recurve to it that could make sharpening more difficult (just my opinion-others may very). You can also get the 247 in a standard blade or in a harpoon blade for a bit more uniqueness, though I'm uncertain if the harpoon blade runs you more or not, having never purchased that varient before.

Anyways, if you start with the Wayfarer 247 and decide you like it, you can always come back and exchange it for a bit more of a customized knife designed more for your liking later down the road.

thanks for the sage advice
i agree with the harpoon statement, i dont think i want a recurve due to the sharpening issue (the h in 247h signifies the harpoon recurve i believe)
i realize that i said that i was looking for a midtech knife but the lines get kind of blurred with olamic....with their swish and 247 not produced custom in cali
but the prices of those blades can approach or equal some of their customs with certain options

While I don't own a Jurassic or an XM18 3.0, I do have 4 Hinderers--XM18 3.5 Spanto, XM 24 with an REK regrind, MP1 with red Micarta scale, and HalfTrack Working Finish blade with Battle Blue slabs and gray G10 scale. I heartily endorse Hinderers despite the notion that each individual knife seems to inhabit its own realm of detent/flippability. I have no issue with Teflon washers and have several other knives with same. All are exceptionally smooth and I've had no wear or strength concerns with any. Hinderers occupy a world unto themselves, are of amazing build quality, and I would recommend trying one at some point just to see for yourself. I did that and have kept four out of the five I bought.

That said, like most here I voted for the Olamic 247, though I prefer my "regular" blade to the look of the harpoon. If you don't get too fancy in your choice, you can do quite well for price. I kept mine simple, went for the "Stealth" model with PVD stonewash and gold ano'd hardware throughout, and was able to find one new for just under $400. The F&F on the knife is awesome, the M390 blade came wicked sharp, and the knife fits both hand and pocket just right.

One helluva looker, too....

vCw8NFe.jpg

y46FuGj.jpg

Hey, Eugene here, Olamic co-founder, just wanted to stop by and say if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out by email or PM.
And this is why Olamic rocks and mirrors the experience I have had with them. Responsive, on top of things, customer focused and great to deal with.

I have an Olamic 247, and can honestly say, it doesn't get much better than that . Quality from a company that cares

Out of the blades listed, Wayfarer by a mile. It's a blade I've been wanting to get my hands on badly. I'll get one soon if ZT has no new models I'm interested in.

Back