Help Me Choose a Chris Reeve Knife

Sebenza 21 or Sebenza 31

• Sebenza 21

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Sebenza 31

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I want a large sebenza with micarta inlays.
Should I buy the sebenza 21 right now or wait six months for the 31.

Looking for your opinions I like both designs of the inlays that's what's making it such a hard decision. Btw I cant buy both only one.

First of all, if you have the money for a 21 now, why don'T you have money for a 31 in a year or two from now? The 21 will eventually disappear, the 31 will stick around afterwards (at least that's how it stands right now). When you're just going by Inlay style, I don't like the look on the 31, it looks better on the 21 where the inlay slabs are all more uniform in side, compared to the "one big slab on one side, small slab on the other side". Although it's all very subjective.

The logical anwer:

The 21 is the iconic CRK ... and if you find you prefer the 31 later you can sell or trade the 21 ... but they are being discontinued so won't be here later if you wish you had gotten one.

My personal thoughts ... I would still buy the 21 over the 31 ... it is just a simple design that it time tested and beautifully simple and reliable ...

That’s very true. Once the 21 is gone it’s gone.. I was hoping to just spend this kind of money once but I might have to buy both!

I have a large 21 micarta.

My personal opinion of your options is based solely on aesthetics. I much prefer the inlays on the 21 over the new one peice on the 31. If that means anything over some of the upgrades on the 31, is up to you. For me it is important. You can't go wrong either way quality or execution wise.

Last edited:
I vote 21. I want a small 21 doppler so bad. $450 is alot of scratch though, I probably wouldn't carry it too often because of that.

I prefer the inlays on my 21 over what I’ve seen of the 31. As many have said, if you’re on the fence, it makes sense to go for a 21 now. Selling/trading to a 31 should be relatively easy into the future, going in the reverse direction will become more difficult.

Also, why wait and deprive yourself of such a great knife. Life’s too short to wait for the ‘next model’.

I too think the one piece inlays on the new 31 doesn't look very good, so I'd grab a 21.

Another vote for the 21. I also prefer the two piece inlays of the 21.

I second that. Excellent choice.

Edit to add: i got to play with the 31 at bladeshow this year. I like it. It has a ceramic lock ball face, and the action and lockup feels like an inkosi. The 21 is a ti lockface and sounds wonderful when it locks up. My choice would be grab a wonderful 21 before they are gone...actually grab 2 or 3. ;)
Congrats!

Last edited:
I happen to prefer the the single click lock and unlock of the Inkosi and Umnumzaan that will now be found in the 31. I have a 21, but the locking system definitely feels like dated technology. Get the 31 and be cutting edge.

I'm on the fence myself. Part of me wants to get a 31. However, the 21 is a classic. I'm hoping to grab a 21 in the next 2 months. Just a basic large Sebenza. It may be a bit dated, but as time goes on, I am finding that I'm a bit dated myself;)

Get a 21 while supply selection is there, and before it’s discontinued. Gives you time to decide on 31 later on, and then you can see the improvements over the 21.

Back