Help me choose a EDC 100 - 150$ range..

Hey everyone.. want everyones advice on their opinion on best EDC general purpose knife.
want to spend around 100-150$ range. give or take a few bucks.
I know i want a blade around 3" to 3.5"
I prefer assisted opening
A lanyard hole
and i really like benchmade axis lock

Im open to other brand names of knives but i have been leaning toward bench made.

I originally thought i was set on a bm 585 barrage but i figured that blade is a little small under 3" and i was thinking maybe the Volli 1000001.
Appreciate anyones thoughts or advice..

If you can save up another $50 or so, and you're not married to the lanyard hole, I'd go with one of these:

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade810-1401contegomilledblueblackg10handlem390steelknifeworksexclusivepre-order.aspx#.VAeyTNddU7w
benchmade810contego.jpg

I recently picked one up and I'm very pleased with it. Just a fantastic knife.
It is on the larger side, but the way it tapers at the bottom, it feels much smaller in the pocket.

Aside from that, you should check out what I'll call the "usual suspects" which I'm sure plenty of people will chime in with shortly.

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 / Manix 2
Kershaw Blur in ELMAX steel
Zero Tolerance 0350 / 0566 / 0770, etc

The volli is a good knife. Very good for general EDC. De-assisted mine but I prefer it that way. Only nitpick I have is the blade is only .100" thick...I prefer at least .125" in a blade over 3".

The volli is a good knife. Very good for general EDC. De-assisted mine but I prefer it that way. Only nitpick I have is the blade is only .100" thick...I prefer at least .125" in a blade over 3".

Can be an advantage. Thinner blades make for nice slicers.

How about the new Ritter Griptilians in M390 from Knifeworks? Axis lock, awesome blade shape and grind and premium blade steel that fits your budget. The only complaint are the hollow feeling/sounding scales, but I can assure you, they are extremely strong and wear resistant. And if you decide that you just can't live with the factory scales, there are a ton of aftermarket scale makers here on the forum. Good luck with your decision.

i was thinking of customizing a full size barrage on bench made.com too i like that knife too... how you guys feel about that knife?

I will second the benchmade volli, handled one at cabelas and fell in love, the sculpted handles feel and look amazing.
I am not usually a fan of benchmade assisted openers but they did the volli right.

Sounds like you want a Benchmade, they are great knives you can't really go wrong... Just pick one with the blade and handle size you want and you're good to go.

emerson horseman or emerson mini commander.

all black spyderco manix 2 is also great.

[video=youtube;hJlon6wE-Sk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJlon6wE-Sk[/video]

anybody customize a barrage ? or thoughts in general about the barrage

Seems like a Barrage fits you based on the preferences you stated. Plus you seem to be a BM fan. I have not customized a Barrage but I did customize a couple Mini Grips. One for me and one for a cousin. Process was simple and knives came pretty fast. When I got mine you paid a little more to customize but it was worth it to me.

Also, welcome to BladeForums. Check out the Benchmade sub forum if you are in fact a BM fan. Lots of good information in that sub forum.

I know you said mainly looking at Benchmade but I'm going to be that guy...

N8xgfFA.jpg

It doesn't have a lanyard "hole", but does have a "post" in the back of the handle for attaching a lanyard. Assisted 3.25" blade. Only thing it lacks in your description is obviously the axis lock.

Mini-barrage all the way, mines sitting next to my mouse right now... I have pm2's and love them, I have many others.. the mini-b is my favorite.. blade doesn't seem small to me for 99% of tasks a 3-3.5" bladed folder would be expected too do

The zt 0566 May be worth a look for you. I picked one up and I love it. It meets all of your criteria except the axis lock. So far it's been a great addition to my rotation. The lmax steel and black wash look are a fine combination for the price point.
How ever you can't go wrong with a bm.
The barrage with the 154cm(dont know the model number, I tell them apart by their blade steel and color.)steel fits all of your criteria to a tee.

Back