Help me choose

Hi,

I'm looking at the Benchmade 940 Osborne Folding Knife.

or

The Benchmade 530 Pardue Folding Knife.

From what I can figure out the 940 has a better blade steel (S30V). I would also think the axis lock would be stronger with the aluminum frame.
But the aluminum handle will show scratches and appear more beat up after time.

The Pardue would be lighter, less likely to show scratches on the handle, but not as strong of axis lock or blade steel (154-CM)

Are these correct assumptions?

Thank You

The 940 is the better knife, (in many ways...) considering blade steel, overall shape, and the Axis lock...but the aluminum scales show wear and beg for G-10 scales which would make the knife what it could be.

Problem is; I find the 530 more comfortable to carry and how it disapppears in my pocket(s) and there's no weakness in the Axis lock compared to the 940, and the scales can take a beating and still look great. In the real world, it's easier to sharpen 154CM and in slicing hard to tell the difference compared the two steels.

I own a 530 and have sold four 940's...that should say something. Much as I like the 94x knives the scales are a negative in my opine.

If you're worried about the 530's steel (154CM) there is a REI 530 LE out with S30V. Otherwise that's a doozy for me - considering both are my top 1 & 2, favorite knives.

Since you can get a reg. 940 anytime, I would go with the 530-1303, I have two and they are flawless.

I also *****hate***** aluminum scales. Which is why I use the 940-121 when I do carry a 940. Otherwise I won't buy the regular.

I have both and prefer the 940. Personally I like the aluminum scales and couldn't care less about getting a couple scrathes on my knives. The thumbstuds and axis lock on the 940 are definitely easier to use than those on the 530. I do like how well the 530 carries when clipped in my back pocket though, which is about the only time I ever carry mine.

I also have both the 940 and 530 and would choose the 940 any day of the week. Scratches and wear on the aluminum gives it that Boba Fett look. Very cool.

Aluminum will show wear. But in reality, it isn't worth worrying about. If it bothers you that bad, carry it in a pocket with nothing else. For me, though, I just got used to the wear. It gives the knife character.

I love the 94x (!!!) but dislike the S30V [give me D2 or M4 (not buying gold class), I'd even take 154CM over S30V].
S30V is a pain in the ass to sharpen and, while it might hold a decent edge for very long, it does not hold a hair whittling edge (if you even get there) after slicing trough paper once.
My two cents.

And all the steel snobs go waah waah...

Thanks for the input. Thanks to a great price at blade hq, I went with the pardue with a plain blade.

This will be my very first Benchmade. I love the Rift but from what I read, they need to add some gimping.

They were all sold out for the awesome Fathers Day Sale anyway. Boy they have some great prices and are selling out fast..

Thanks for the input. Thanks to a great price at blade hq, I went with the pardue with a plain blade.

Great knife!

Think of it this way, I've bought a few models over the years and I just now picked up a 530 - wished I had done so sooner.. Would have saved a lot of $$$

You'll eventually have to pick up a 940 too, one could be very satisfied with those two in his collection ;)

Back