Help me choose...

Looking at either the Benchmade Presidio ll or the Spyderco Shaman. Which would you choose as a tactical backup to your Primary Carry weapon ?

I like the Spyderco Shaman better but that comes with a caveat. Folding knives aren't great for self defense. I realize that this is a backup and I'm assuming that you carry a firearm. So hopefully, we are talking about something you'll never be in a position to need. Just in case you ever do, fixed blades are generally a much better option.

I choose folding knives based on their normal EDC cutting utility, ergonomics, joy of use, etc. Prioritizing defensive capability can mean sacrifices in those other areas, and it feels like a waste. Can you carry a small fixed blade? If possible, you could carry a defensive fixed blade and keep your pocket knife for normal cutting tasks. You could also look at fixed blades that will do it all and with the right retention system, you'll free up some pocket space.

I've got to agree. Folding knives aren't great for self defense. Look at it this way. You carry a gun for self defense. That is the best defensive tool you can carry. So let's think about why you'd need a backup. Besides malfunction, it's going to be situations in which you either can't get to your firearm or you can't safely draw it.

For instance, you might have an attacker right on top of you. You might be pinned down in a way that prevents you from reaching or properly drawing your firearm. The reality is that defensive encounters can be messy. This is the time when you might need to grab a secondary tool. So ask yourself, is that the time when you want to fish something out of a pocket and try to open it properly?

Some of the same concepts for defensive carry and gun holsters will apply here. You want something with a fixed position, good retention, and a quick draw. Some members of law enforcement carry belt knives for such cases. A classic example is when a bad guy grabs at their holstered gun. They need a “get off of me” tool and a small fixed blade can be just that.

Consider a Ka-BAR TDI, It’s a good backup last ditch get off me knife.

Spyderco is on the right track. Do searches for either a Lava or Poliwog for a solid backup.

Presuming this is the intended use referenced above, an OTF would be my choice if it HAS to be a folding knife otherwise I agree with the above about a small fixed blade. Maybe a boot knife, or necker also.

Not a knife fighter, so I'm just addressing the tool aspect of these two.

I'm not a fan of the hole opener thing, but if you are then the opening method might help you decide.

I like the deep carry clip on the Presidio. It's tip up only though, so if you are a tip down kinda guy, then you might appreciate the Shaman as it allows for both methods.

The handle material might give you some thought. If you prefer metal handles, the Presidio offers anodized aluminum. If you are not a fan of metal handles, the Shaman is the way to go. There's a sprint run of the Shaman with micarta scales and Cru-Wear that might appeal to you.

The Benchmade Axis lock and Spyderco Compression lock are both very good, but different enough in operation that you might find a definite preference for one over the other.

For your purposes, I would say that getting your hands on both and handling them would be your best method of choosing.

Practically Tactically speaking, I’d do a waved Emerson of some sort in the back left pocket, assuming you can only carry a folder, are right handed, and have a firearm somewhere on that strong side.

... You want something with a fixed position, good retention, and a quick draw. Some members of law enforcement carry belt knives for such cases. A classic example is when a bad guy grabs at their holstered gun. They need a “get off of me” tool and a small fixed blade can be just that.

Consider a Ka-BAR TDI, It’s a good backup last ditch get off me knife.

I've seen this knife discussed around the web for exactly the use described by Cosmodragoon. Note the lock/release mechanism on the sheath. Only a few of their models use it. I really like that idea. This is something that I feel is lacking from a lot of knife sheaths.

ka-bar-2485-hinderance-black-fixed-sheath.jpg

I've seen this knife discussed around the web for exactly the use described by Cosmodragoon. Note the lock/release mechanism on the sheath. Only a few of their models use it. I really like that idea. This is something that I feel is lacking from a lot of knife sheaths.

ka-bar-2485-hinderance-black-fixed-sheath.jpg

The tdi is a great blade, I prefer the smaller version

Another small fixed blade with a decent retention system is "Le Duck" from Outdoor Edge. It's really excellent for horizontal carry along the belt line, especially under a gentleman's Dunlop. (I've carried one extensively.) I know 8Cr13Mov isn't the worst but I do wish it was available in better steel for utility applications.

I didn't see a picture that did it justice so here is a video from Cutlery Lover.

Presuming this is the intended use referenced above, an OTF would be my choice if it HAS to be a folding knife otherwise I agree with the above about a small fixed blade. Maybe a boot knife, or necker also.
I completely agree. OTF FTW.

Back up to primary? Sig p365. I would run before I presumed to try to defend myself with a knife. I do have a few Zt folders that i could throw at an attacker that would leave quite a mark.

Russ
You wouldn't even need to open them first. I like my 0350, but it's never going to be called a lightweight.

Thanks guys , after reading some of your post I’m starting to rethink what has been said here. I now think the idea of a small 3 in. Fixed blade knife makes better since.... Thanks again to all....

Back