Help me decide on a new SAK

I honestly can't decide between the Super Tinker, Compact, and the Pioneer X. Can anyone who has used all or 2 of them give comparisons and tell what you have used them for? Have any of you found more function out of one over the other 2?

I don’t have the super tinker, but I do have the compact, pioneer x, and the deluxe tinker, and if I had to choose between the three I’d choose the pioneer x. The 93mm alox models have a bit more blade, the inline awl, and are more durable. If you are ok with a little more weight and sacrificing the tweezers and toothpick (both are easily carried in your wallet), go with the pioneer x. As for what I use them for, it’s the daily stuff we encounter, and the fact that the three models you mention all have scissors tells me you have figured out just how useful they are...for me they’re a must have. If you’re like many of us, you’ll buy a couple different models until you have your needs figured out, but luckily a SAK is an affordable tool. I have them in every vehicle, travel bag/backpack, my wife’s purse, and all over the house.

I'll vote for the Super Tinker. Unless you are really enamored with the Alox handles, I like the ST. I personally use the tweezers quite a bit (wood worker hobbyist = splinters) and find the tooth pick handy too. I find uses for the two screwdrivers too. I save the small pen blade for oranges/food and get the main blade dirty. Scissors are a must for me too.

Again, a lot depends on what YOU run into during the day but I like the tool selections on the ST better.

Thanks for the insight everybody! I was leaning towards the Pioneer X because, although the tweezers and toothpick are useful, i keep a classic on my keys so that ive always got them on me. I love the alox scales on my Harvester but i'd really rather have the scissors as opposed to the Wood Saw. i've leaned away from the Super Tinker but the compact with the file on the back of the hook is what keeps pulling me to it. So i've narrowed it down to 2 :D

The Compact is my all time favorite SAK that is still in production. It offers great functionality in two layers. I do think it is a little overpriced though. I like the PX a whole lot, but it's a little too heavy for daily carry, IMO. It's a great carry when wearing jeans, but not so much for shorts or lighter weight pants, at least for me. Everyone should own both though, so you can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the insight everybody! I was leaning towards the Pioneer X because, although the tweezers and toothpick are useful, i keep a classic on my keys so that ive always got them on me. I love the alox scales on my Harvester but i'd really rather have the scissors as opposed to the Wood Saw. i've leaned away from the Super Tinker but the compact with the file on the back of the hook is what keeps pulling me to it. So i've narrowed it down to 2 :D
Personally, I’ve found zero uses for that narrow file. The file on the small 58mm Vics is easier to work with.

If you don't have one already, I'd get a Pioneer instead of the PX. The Pioneer is slimmer and lighter, and you already have capable scissors on your Classic.

As for the Compact: again, you have scissors on the Classic, T&T, and a very functional nail file.

Last edited:
I have a Super Tinker and I like it a lot. I don't have the other two knives but the Compact doesn't appeal to me because of it's limited screwdriver capability. The Pioneer X would probably be the most durable of the 3.

I think the Super Tinker or Climber if you want the corkscrew is the best bang for your buck, 3 layers is my maximum pocket carry. Sawl has really good advice about the Pioneer +Classic though. Good luck.

Ask yourself this: If the Pioneer X had plastic scales instead of alox, which would you choose?

Alox looks great, and they will not break if you drop the knife, but they are slippery in the hand (especially if your hands are wet or oily) and add weight and loses the toothpick and tweezers.

The Compact is just too much of a compromise.
I bought one thinking it was going to be THE EDC SAK!
I carried it a few days but I wasn't happy with the combo tool at all...so it now resides in a kitchen drawer.

I have gone through a number of SAK models and when the Pioneer X came out, that was it. I liked it so much I bought a Green Cutlery Shoppe exclusive. There are some blue and black ones out there that keep whispering in my ear, “buy me. Buy me”.

Really, the PX does everything I need doing without going to my toolbox.

I’ve carried a Swiss Army Knife of some kind since the early 60s when I was 10. Usually a 91mm 2-row Spartan, Compact, Tinker, or more recently a Waiter Plus. When I worked in the restaurant business I found the corkscrew invaluable. I also find the Victorinox scissors very useful.

I’m currently carrying a Compact but I want it modded to swap out two tools for others I’ll use more since I got a custom folder with a far superior blade I also EDC with the SAK.

Which tools you’ll use most will likely change as your jobs do.

Back