Help me decide

TheJon

Gold Member
Hey all, I'm going in a surprise 9 month rotation to poland in a few weeks, and obviously the most important thing is what knife/knives to bring. Or rather they're a good distraction from having to leave my family. Anyway I have a couple non buck knives I'll bring (sak/leatherman and socom elite) but I'm thinking this time I might bring a couple buck knives for fun.

I could do the 110 I got when my daughter was born, or perhaps just a small 301 considering the knife mentioned above is also a big boy.

I considered my 112 slim select, which while probably the most functional of all my knives doesn't quite have the soul of a classic 110.

I do have a fixed blade on my kit, but I'll probably be leaving that off this time.

Anyone have any internet opinions?

I'd leave the 110 at home since it has sentimental value. That would leave the 301and 112 slim select, both are great choices.
If you really want the 110, maybe an LT or another 110.

On my deployment to OIF in 2003 I carried a Leatherman Wave in a belt pouch, a Kabar 1081 Medium Stockman in my pocket, and an Imperial M-4 bayonet on my pistol belt (my father had given me the Imperial in 1990 - he was a retired 1SG and the bayonet was issued with his M1 Carbine when he was in the 508th ABN RCT in the mid 1950's). I used the Medium Stockman everyday, the Wave on an intermittent basis, and the bayonet only once (to cut the CSM's birthday cake on 1 JUN 03). Obviously I will recommend the Buck 301 based on my own experience as being most useful. OH

I would check knife laws in the European Union first. I believe for example that locking blades may not be carried in UK or Germany. Don't know about Poland.
I'm unclear if knife laws are overall uniform EU laws or regulated by individual member countries. Even here in the USA knife laws are a mishmash.

Last edited:
I would check knife laws in the European Union first. I believe for example that locking blades may not be carried in UK or Germany. Don't know about Poland.
I'm unclear if knife laws are overall uniform EU laws or regulated by individual member countries. Even here in the USA knife laws are a mishmash.
This is the most important suggestion. Otherwise your rotation could turn sour quickly. Once you've got the local laws sorted, we can offer better advice.

I’ve never been brave enough to take a good knife traveling by air.
I know some guys that packed their favorite carry knife in their check baggage in thick corrugated cardboard all taped up with large bold letters written on it “ old dull antique knife” and it passed inspection. Lol.

Usually when flying to Alaska to visit family, I will just buy a knife up there to use and then gift it to someone when I leave to fly back home. I’d rather leave it with family or friends there who can use it than have tsa confiscate it or steal it.

Otherwise I would really check the laws and do some research.

Certainly do some shopping(for knives)while in Poland if you can. Who knows what you will find. While stationed in England in the 80’s i carried my 110 on my belt both on and off duty. No idea if i was breaking any laws lol.
In 2021 this is not recommended. Get educated.

I almost forgot, my last trip to Alaska in 2015 I packed my Leatherman wingman in my check baggage loose and it went through with no problem. And got back home with it. Like I say, I’m not brave enough to take a good knife or tool. Not that the wingman is bad but it wasn’t expensive. If I lost it then no great loss.

301 + a new 110 since your exising one has sentimental value?

For non-Buck how about a classic Demo knife? The current manufacture marbles MR278 is identical except 1/8 inch shorter, has matchstrike nail nicks, and the can opener don't got "CAN OPENER" stamped onnit.
The Marbles retains the "Stong enough to tow a Jeep" bail of the original, and is still 100% 440A, like the originals.
Under $7, or I hear your quartermaster can get you the Marbles rendition of the Demo knife.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm going in a surprise 9 month rotation to poland in a few weeks, and obviously the most important thing is what knife/knives to bring. Or rather they're a good distraction from having to leave my family. Anyway I have a couple non buck knives I'll bring (sak/leatherman and socom elite) but I'm thinking this time I might bring a couple buck knives for fun.

I could do the 110 I got when my daughter was born, or perhaps just a small 301 considering the knife mentioned above is also a big boy.

I considered my 112 slim select, which while probably the most functional of all my knives doesn't quite have the soul of a classic 110.

I do have a fixed blade on my kit, but I'll probably be leaving that off this time.

Anyone have any internet opinions?
image.jpegIf you take a Selector, you can put the blade in your checked luggage and carry the handle in your pocket.

Back