help me design my disk grinder

I just picked up a 3/4hp 1100rpm VFD motor (56 frame) and drive controller. This will give me reversable and variable speed...so...now I'm looking for input on making a disk grinder. I'll be getting one of Rob Frinks beveled 9" disks for direct shaft drive. I'm guessing I'll want to use it mostly horizontal but would like to be able to swing it up and use it vertical with an adjustable work table. Any help, designs, suggestions and/or pictures would be appreciated.

You're gonna love the VFD! I put one my vertical bandsaw a few weeks ago....and I'm still amazed with all of the features and programmable functions. The more I use it, the more I love it!

Have fun with it!
Rob

Tracy, I'd like to hear some specs on your motor - where'd you find it, its cost if that's not imposing too much, etc. I'm asking because this sounds like my dream machine too, and I'm sure looking forward to building one some day.

Dave

yes me 3 on the info Please!!
I have an unfinished 8" disk just waiting for a motor.
shaft size don't matter I'haven't bored it out yet.

All new stuff. Maybe you can find used cheaper but I couldn't find any in my area and I'm not smart or brave enough to cobble something together from ebay. I paid extra for a human to hand it to me and tell me it would work.

The motor is a westinghouse VFD 1100 rpm 56 frame with 5/8 shaft. The motor guy said I could get a baldor and pay more if I wanted but the westinghouse would out last the baldor. 5 year warranty. It was $145. The reason I chose an 1100 rpm over the more common 1750 or 3600 rpm was cooling. I plan on using it slow most of the time (I simply guessed I would use it around 500 to 600 rpm) and going less than half the rated rpm of the motor doesn't allow for proper cooling. The Delta brand VFD drive (controller) was $360, has an LED readout, on/off, forward, reverse, up/down buttons for programming (plastic membrane type found on a credit card type calculator) and a speed (frequency) knob. 2 year warranty. I haven't waded through the manual yet to see all the programming features but I think I can control the next space shuttle launch from my basement when I get it up and running. Otherwise the guy assured me, wire it up and don't worry about any programming, it's good to go. I feel good about that but I got his business card just in case. The drive (controller) has an option to be used with a remote control - like you'll need that but it adds to the cool factor. It is also openly vented so I'll have to mount it at least a little out of the way of any metal dust and blow it out now and then. It requires 230 volt single phase power in to the drive, converts it to three phase out to the motor. Some minor connection wiring between drive and motor that I'll have the electrician do when he puts in a 230 outlet in my shop. Luckily, the power panel is right there so it's not a big deal. VFD's are reccomended to be twice the horsepower rating of the motor. So if you are going to use a 2hp motor, you need a 4hp rated VFD. Not sure who came up with that one but they should have their ass kicked.

I priced an 1&1/2 hp Baldor VFD and it was $780 sans motor. VFD motors aren't all that much, it's the drive that gets ya. That and you need a 230 outlet. If you are one of the 4 people in the U.S. that has three phase power into your shop (I'd like to shake your hand), I'm sure it would be a great deal less.

Is that a variable frequency divider (VFD) you have there?
sounds like what I have for my miller mine is rated 3 HP and
I'm running 2 hp on the Mill. a lot better then the rotary or the cheaper
diode phase converter. IMO,
I like this critter. I only run one thing at a time anyway so I have
it wired up to run my surface grinder too.
two birds with one stone and as many 3 phase motors
as I want one at a time all variable speed with it..
You'd need stock in the power company to install 3 phase power.
10 years ago you'd have to pay over 1500.00 plus guaranty
so much use per month.
Thanks Tracy I didn't think about making the disk grinder
variable speed. now to find a 3 phase motor.
ebay here I come..:)

Originally posted by Graymaker
Is that a variable frequency divider (VFD) you have there?
.... I only run one thing at a time anyway so I have
it wired up to run my surface grinder too.
two birds with one stone and as many 3 phase motors
as I want one at a time all variable speed with it..

Dan,
It speeds up or slows down based on the frequency sent to the motor from the drive. If that's also called a divider, it makes sense to me. I've just heard them referred to as drives or controllers. Had I been thinking, I would have gotten a larger drive so I could use it with other motors also. Next time. After I get this up and running and allowed some time for the dust to settle in the checkbook, I'll be looking for a surface grinder. Problem is I'm out of room in my shop and the garage isn't any better. That hasn't stopped me so far though.

Thanks
I haven't checks those links yet
but this morning I caught one of the guys at
a local GE outlet
and he said the frame 56 3/4HP motor was under a bill.
It's almost sold but need to wait until monday :(
yup a divider that's what GE told me, I bought it from them..
I've been wanting to do this for some time now
the fire lit again. :D

Tracy, sounds like a good setup.The remote refers to using some other than the keypad.On some equipment we built at work the Varible Speed Drive (VSD) would be mounted in a control panel away from the machine and the start and stop switches would be next to the machine.This works well if you use the preset speed functions.Also you had better read the manual close to check out the various functions to save the motor and make everything work better for you.Programming is very easy to follow.Good luck and happy grinding,Dave.:)

Back