Help me find a good Barlow

So the Ulster is better quality compared to Imperial? They look quite alike on pics on eBay.
Regards Erik
The Ulster uses standard construction.
Thr imperial has stamped sheet metal side panel with thin riveted handle scales which are attached with folded tabs at each end of the frame.

In the end they both do the same job, but yes the Ulster should be nicer overall.

Böker Germany, carbon blades. Comes with Clip or Spear.

Böker made Rusell

393oVVu.jpg

That is gorgeous. Love the handle material, the extended bolster, and the blade shape.
May I ask exactly what model that is?

The Ulster 10OT was first made in the early 1960's. During that time, Ulster's and Imperial's were both made by "Imperial Knife Associated Companies" or IKAC using the same or similar machinery/methods... in my opinion the construction was a little better on the Ulster's but the blade quality would be near identical on both. If you are looking at the brown Delrin "sawcut" handled ones from that time period, they are comparable and the Ulster will probably run a little more costly. Like I mentioned, I know the Ulster 10OT or the Ulster 10 are good users... if the Imperial is from around that same time (see tang chart below) then you should like that one as well.

upload_2020-11-15_7-17-22.png

If you want to get him a memorable knife, I would get a Case barlow (normal sized ~3.5" closed). I assume that Case is still making them. My last Case barlow was purchased at a knife show and it was very similar to my first "good knife" that I got as a kid and relied on so much as part of my life then. That memory never fades.

A superb choice would be a LionSteel but I think tastes have to become a little more refined to choose one of those which are more expensive.

I generally stay away from Bear & Sons products. Probably need to handle one again as it has been a while.

Just wondering why? I have two; single and two blade barlows. OK knives' not great, but good OK users.
Rich
I was just not very impressed with their QC with the ones I looked at. So, I stayed away from them. I would rather buy a Rough Ryder for less money where the quality is generally pretty predictable. They reportedly have a better line now, but I haven't handled one. I will make a point of handling a few on my next Sevierville TN knife store visit.

That said, I won't buy a Case knife now in most cases unless I handle it in a store. I will pay the extra brick & mortar "fee" for the privilege.

Well I found a couple of real nice looking Imperial and Ulster but they are asking 40 to 45 usd on an auctionsite

I was just not very impressed with their QC with the ones I looked at. So, I stayed away from them. I would rather buy a Rough Ryder for less money where the quality is generally pretty predictable. They reportedly have a better line now, but I haven't handled one. I will make a point of handling a few on my next Sevierville TN knife store visit.

That said, I won't buy a Case knife now in most cases unless I handle it in a store. I will pay the extra brick & mortar "fee" for the privilege.
Well he got mine actually, so I want a new one for myself

The two blade Northwoods Madison Barlow is one I like. Hard to find now. It's fairly large.

I think the classic barlow is the Case.

That is gorgeous. Love the handle material, the extended bolster, and the blade shape.
May I ask exactly what model that is?

Thank you :thumbsup:

It's a Russell Green River Works Barlow made in Germany by Böker in the early years of this century with Spear master, Pen minor in carbon. 3.5" closed.The bolster is brushed stainless and deeply stamped, they came in other scales: Redbone, stag etc and some were Clip, others Razor one arm openers. Also a very large single blade Grandaddy Barlow was made, you can still find these with patience and good quality knives all round.

regards, Will

Maybe I missed it, but your two-blade preference.....was that a main spear or a main clip?

If you want to get him a memorable knife, I would get a Case barlow (normal sized ~3.5" closed). I assume that Case is still making them.
Nope. :(
Zippo/Case put the Barlow back "in the vault" after the limited run of 2019. :(

Stupid for Zippo/Case not to make a Barlow when pretty much all of their competitors produce at least one, including Rough Ryder and {{{shudder}}} FROST {{{shudder}}}...

I have no idea why Zippo/Case chooses to force a person who wants a new Barlow to buy a competitor's knife, or wait 5 to 30 years (or longer) for Zippo/Case to "take it out of the vault" again for a year (and charge an inflated premium price for it), or buy a used Case Barlow on the secondary market -- which doesn't bring a single penny (that would offset the cost of that "penny never spent to repair a Zippo lighter" Zippo puts in the box of every lighter that leaves the factory) into their coffers

My guess is: "Zippo/Case has forgotten (or decided to ignore) the fact that the Barlow is a "staple" pattern; it isn't a "high end" or "premium" pattern."
Zippo/Case also appears to ignore that historically the Barlow has always been a low cost "every man's work knife", and that the Barlow also made an excellent choice for a lad's first knife, which was likely to be abused, broken, and/or lost.
Especially the low cost shell construction Barlow's, such as the "Prov. RI." and/or "IRELAND" Imperial, for example.
Note: Some budget conscious adults also carried the inexpensive shell construction knives, since they had the same high quality blades as the more expensive knives with real bolsters and wood or bone or horn covers.
(My maternal Great Grandfather was one of them budget conscious adults. :D )

The "Pocket Hunter" (peanut sized two blade slipjoint folding hunter) that came out of the "vault" for 2020 will unquestionably be taken out of production again no later than December 31, 2020.

Last edited:
My son read Huckleberry Finn so I gave him my Taylor Schrade Barlow, which I found to be excellent even though I really would have wanted a carbon bladed one. He was amazed by the quality cost ratio. Now I'm looking for a new one for myself.
Two blades and carbon steel. What do you suggest? I've been thinking about getting a Bear and son's.
How much are you expecting to spend?

This jigged Delrin Barlow from Queen Cutlery was very inexpensive but a very decently made tough work knife. It's nice that it offers a Sheepfoot blade as an alternative . Cheap does not have to be cheap quality and this one is good example, it was also a product of the USA not the Orient.

39se3oA.jpg

Thank you :thumbsup:

It's a Russell Green River Works Barlow made in Germany by Böker in the early years of this century with Spear master, Pen minor in carbon. 3.5" closed.The bolster is brushed stainless and deeply stamped, they came in other scales: Redbone, stag etc and some were Clip, others Razor one arm openers. Also a very large single blade Grandaddy Barlow was made, you can still find these with patience and good quality knives all round.

regards, Will

Thanks much for the reply/info.
Definitely going to be looking that model up tonight if I get some down time at work. I recently ordered my first Barlow (Case - should be here next week), but that one has my attention too, for sure.

Rough Ryder Classic Carbon for new.

Ulster, Imperial, Camillus, Russell, NYKC, Cattaraugus, Robeson, Hammer Brand, Utica, Old Timer, Schrade Walden, Western (I'm pretty sure Western made a Barlow, at least for a short while), Colonial, Simmons Hardware, Boker Tree Brand, or other Solgien, Germany brand, or pretty much any of the grand old Sheffield, England makers, if used.
(I know I'm forgetting at least a gross of high quality, now long defunct pre-Depression brands ... :( )
(the Imperial, and possibly some of the Schrade era Hammer Brand, will have shell construction, but the same high quality, properly heat treated 1095 blades as the more expensive Imperial Schrade brands.)

Note, Please: Not all Ulster Barlow's are Old Timer, or from the Reynolds/Prince Albert tobacco promotion.

Ulster main blades: Number 10 is clip point. Number 11 is spear point. Number 12 (very rare) has a sheepsfoot.
I don't remember the number for the 5 inch closed single blade "Daddy"/"Grand Daddy" Ulster Barlow.
Found a Imperial that looks great. Can it be a good buy even if it has the cheaper construction?

Back