Help me find SAK

ENDuser

Banned
I am looking for a New Sak. I only want to spend a maximum of $60. There are so many models and I just want the SAK with the most and most usefull tools for the money.

Mayve you guys can help me pick one out. I would appreciate it.

ENDuser said:
I am looking for a New Sak. I only want to spend a maximum of $60. There are so many models and I just want the SAK with the most and most usefull tools for the money.
For $60 you probably can buy more than one......

However I would suggest getting one that's your minimalist SAK - ie: one that only has the tools you most often use and want to carry on a daily basis - some suggestions in this thread:
Minimalist SAKs

One of my favorite minimalist SAKs the Victorinox Waiter (about $10)
53891_l.jpg

or the very popular Tinker (~ $14)
53101_l.jpg

or with scissors - the Victorinox Compact (~ $21) -
54941_l.jpg

Then get a maximalist SAK like the Victorinox SwissChamp (~ $45) -
53501_l.jpg

I posted about this kind of strategy in -
SAK - Purchase Rationale

--
Vincent

http://UnknownVT2005.cjb.net
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net
http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net

I was looking at the swisschamp. Id like something with around 20-25 tools and is the regular size. If I could get 2 tools it would be nice for that price.

It will be used for camping and stuff in the woods. Pretty much everything that my Spyderco Para-MIlitary and Benchmade 710 cant handle. I was looking at multitools like the leathermans but id rather a sak.

I was looking at either the Camping model x2 or the swiss champ but then there is the Workchamp or the handyman.

Its a hard decision.

UnknownVT said:
Then get a maximalist SAK like the Victorinox SwissChamp (~ $45) -

The SwissChamp is great, and my other favorite is the Cybertool 41. I could not choose one - a compter geek like me needs the Cybertool - so I ended up getting them both. In one package - the SwissChamp XLT:

xlt.jpg

Better, lighter & smaller then getting them both :)

I really like the cpybertool, just not the transparecy color it had on the handles.

I think I am going to go with either the

Camper or the Swisschamp

I found this palce swissknivesexpress.com

that ingraves your name onto the knife. I think it looks really nice.
engraved-red-champ-nawarynski-1.jpg

If camping is your thing maybe the ranger would work well for you. Kinda thick though. Personally, i think the Camper is a great model to carry if you need a saw, but don't want to pack a lot. If the corkscrew isn't your thing, then the hiker is the exact same thing with a philips screwdriver instead of a the CS.
EDC i pack a spartan or a soldier in my watch pocket if i'm not going to need much. If i need more gadgets, then i'll take the explorer in a belt sheath.

Best of luck to you.
Jake

The Compact gives a lot of bang for the buck. If you want the woodsaw, go with the Camper.

Paul

ENDuser said:
I really like the cpybertool, just not the transparecy color it had on the handles.

You can get solid color replacement handles, so don't rule out the cybertool just yet.

Take your time and look at all the models before you buy.
List the tools/funtions you need in order of use and use that list to help you decide.
You'll be glad you did.

ENDuser said:
I think I am going to go with either the

Camper or the Swisschamp

I found this palce swissknivesexpress.com

that ingraves your name onto the knife. I think it looks really nice.
engraved-red-champ-nawarynski-1.jpg
I bought my fieldmaster from swissknivesexpress.com with my name ingraved on it . It is very well done . The fieldmaster is my favorite sak , it is the one that offers the most of what I want and the least of what I don't . It is a little thick for pocket carry IMHO so I carry it on my belt in a nylon pouch . Very comfortable way to carry and easy to get too . Good luck .

I agree.
The Fieldmaster has the best combination of useful tools for your money.

Allen.

Grateful said:
I bought my fieldmaster from swissknivesexpress.com with my name ingraved on it . It is very well done . The fieldmaster is my favorite sak , it is the one that offers the most of what I want and the least of what I don't . It is a little thick for pocket carry IMHO so I carry it on my belt in a nylon pouch . Very comfortable way to carry and easy to get too . Good luck .

If you are going to carry it on your belt, anyway, why deprive yourself? Since the Swisschamp is within your budget, it seems a false economy to skimp on features you might someday find useful. In 12 years of carrying one, I have used everything on my Swisschamp, including the extra weight while using it to pound something. If you buy carefully, you might have cash left over for a Minichamp when you really want to travel light.

znapschatz said:
I have used everything on my Swisschamp, including the extra weight while using it to pound something.

Wow - you pounded something with SwissChamp? :cool: I carried one for 9 years (before upgrading to the SwissChamp XLT - see above) but I never dared to pound anyting with it .

What did you pound with it and which blade/tool did you use?

Cheers,

TN

You've gotten some very good replies so far.
My favourite regular size SAK for EDC is the Huntsman (I've now upgraded it to the very cool Huntsman Lite!), it has a lot of useful tools, but it's still pocket-friendly. The alox Pioneer and Farmer come in second, followed by my StayGlow Climber.
A very good option for EDC SAKs, often overlooked, is the Securité line from Wenger. I have one that has the same features as the Huntsman, but the locking blade is very nice (specially if you're not carrying anything else).

tnozh said:
Wow - you pounded something with SwissChamp? :cool: I carried one for 9 years (before upgrading to the SwissChamp XLT - see above) but I never dared to pound anyting with it .

What did you pound with it and which blade/tool did you use?

Cheers,

TN

SAK whacks include: breaking some ice covering an outdoor lock; used it as a tack hammer to put up flyers; most recently smacked a reluctant wheel onto a garden cart axle. My "technique" is to grip the scales on the toothpick/tweezer end and hit with the spring side of the SAK. I don't do it very often and usually am somewhat careful about what to take on, but so far only a few marks, no noticeable damage.

This might be considered knifal abuse, but I got this thing to use as a tool, not an heirloom.

znapschatz said:
SAK whacks include: breaking some ice covering an outdoor lock; used it as a tack hammer to put up flyers; most recently smacked a reluctant wheel onto a garden cart axle. My "technique" is to grip the scales on the toothpick/tweezer end and hit with the spring side of the SAK. I don't do it very often and usually am somewhat careful about what to take on, but so far only a few marks, no noticeable damage.

This might be considered knifal abuse, but I got this thing to use as a tool, not an heirloom.

I've done the same thing with my Huntsman on occasion! It's amazing how much abuse these things will ignore. :D

znapschatz said:
SAK whacks include: breaking some ice covering an outdoor lock; used it as a tack hammer to put up flyers; most recently smacked a reluctant wheel onto a garden cart axle. My "technique" is to grip the scales on the toothpick/tweezer end and hit with the spring side of the SAK. I don't do it very often and usually am somewhat careful about what to take on, but so far only a few marks, no noticeable damage. This might be considered knifal abuse, but I got this thing to use as a tool, not an heirloom.

freezergeezer said:
I've done the same thing with my Huntsman on occasion! It's amazing how much abuse these things will ignore. :D

Impressive!

I will strat a new thread to see what else SAKs have survived.

Cheers,

TN

Back