Help me find this knife...PLEASE

Hi guys, I know this is a little "Low Rent" for this forum, but I have been searching for a certain knife for years. When I was a kid, my first "real" pocket knife was an Old Timer 3 blade pocket knife...Im thinking an 80T. It was given to me by my grandfather who has since passed. What makes this particular knife so special is that it had a Red Bone Handle. Im pretty sure a family member lifted it years ago... I have since searched and searched but not only have I not been able to find the knife...I cant find anyone that remembers the knife. I know it existed because I spent hours and hours holding, looking, and for lack of a better word playing with it. It was absolutely beautiful to me then and now. If anyone knows anyhting about this knife, or where I might be able to find another...it would mean the world to me.

I guess I should add that the "When I was a kid" part was in the mid 80's

Thank you,
Chris

There were two knives in the Schrade Walden OT line which were made in ( real) smoothbone. The 2- OT and the 8-OT. My computer has been down and while I am partially back in business my A drive ( floppys ) is not working correctly since I use an older Mavica which uses these I cannot post a pic of the ones I have. Also my scanner is screwed up since I need new drivers from Canon. This procedure is well beyond me as well so the best I can do is suggest you get a copy of Sargents book ( One or two editions ) in edition one, a picture is on page 216 it lists the bone color as brown however some of these had a reddish hue. Perhapes one of the guys here might post a pic of the knife from the book or ( from there collections ). In any event your knife in question is not low rent in fact it is one of the rarer Schrades and among the rarest of the OT line. These were only made for a few years ( in real bone during the first years of the OT lines production. 50 to 150+ if you can find one. I hope this helps.

By the way what is a driver I didn't know this contraption had drivers has it also got horses and who fired the last driver and can I get a job riding shotgun. I still believe these computer things are really magic and mine broke because I did not leave cookies and milk out for it one night and am now being punished. LT

Thanks for the info. Im nearly 100% possitive that teh box actually said red bone on it. If you get your comp problems worked out, Id love to see those pics. Thanks again....

I just found a pic of this knife in one of my old postings look up my old postings for one about the 8-OT there is a picture in it. Let me know if you find it I was just lucky wish I could be of more help for you to find it. It is in the thread in there somewhere. Maybe one of the smarter guys can help. Lt.

It takes a crumb to leave a crumb and I have been called that and worse in the past. Thanks for the help LT

If your knife was in smooth bone and red ( from that era) chances are is was part of the heritage series not the OT ( Old Timer series ) in the same ( stockman ) pattern of the 8-OT. This knife is not as expensive around 35 to 50+ but fairly hard to find. You were a kid in the 80tys hell I was already old in the 80tys. I have socks and underware ( that I still wear older than you ) ( that may be more information than you need to know ) Go to ebay put in Schrade heritage Stockman and keep looking it will show up. Then you can decide if that was the knife. ( or perhapes someone will submit a picture ) LT PS at least I still wear socks and underware a lot of guys my age have given up or forgotten how to use these articles of clothing.

Thats not it... The knife I am talking about was brand new when he gave it to me which would have made it being manufactured in the early 80's. Whether or not it was real bone I cant say, but it did have a very nice red tint, and the as I am almost 100% possitive that teh box actually said "Red Bone". Thanks for the response though, I appreciate it.

Smooth redbone that vintage makes it a heritage not an OT. some one should have one they can post a pic of. The OT in bone threw me a curve . LT

Thanks for the help anyway, its greatly appreciated. Im sure i'll find one someday. Its very possible that the handle was made of the same material that it is now, and they just called it red bone. I also remember that the box was a brown and wood grained. So to recap, Im looking for a Shrade Old Timer knife made in the early or mid 80s. Its a large stockman style with a "red bone" handle. Maybe and 8-OT. The handle had a beautiful red tint, but it was not completely red like the Case "Old Red Bone" handles.

This is a very old post. This must be what your thinking off.
Made by Schrade, in 1985.
medium

Or one of these.
2008-11-07015.jpg

This pic was taken indoors so she looks more brown than red but take my word for it...it's a dark red

It looks like these red bone knives, were made about 1983-85.
As we can see with this one, the blade is a carbon blade.
medium

Back