Help me find this knife?

I'm new to fixed blades but looking to expand my horizons. I'd like to get myself a fixed blade for general use, hiking, camping, no every day carry though. Probably 4-5 inches and I like tool steels, not stainless. I also like traditional looking so wood, leather, maybe micarta scales/handles. And I'd like to keep the price low so under $200. Suggestions?

LT Wrighr GNS full flat grind o1 steel, my personal favorite. Extremely comfortable in use. They can be had in full flat, saber, or scandi grind and in several steels and handle materials. If I could have only one fixed blade my GNS would be the one.
Can't get picture to load for some reason.

Last edited:
Western L66 or W66 (leather or wood grip respectivley) or F66 (AKA: "Black Beauty" with alternating Aluminum and black fiber washers) Fairly common on the used market, tho I understand some of the sellers on big auction site are asking dream world prices.
I found my latest, an almost like new "D" (1980) date code L66 at the local pawnshop for $25 or $30, I think it was, a couple years ago.
I don't know how the post 2007 Camillus bankruptcy offshore made Western knives compare. (Camillus owned Western in 2007 when they went under.)

Ontario 499 "Jet Pilot Survivl Knife"
You'll want to thin the edge a mite, and sharpen to 12 - 15 DPS to improve the fine cutting ability, and how long it will hold a usable working edge.

Finnish made Puukko.

Mora
Several models to choose from with the blade length you want. Some have laminted blades, and a choice of carbon steel or stainless steel. I like the Number 1 and 2 for the blade length. you mention. The Number 1 is just under 4 inches (3.9 inch) and the Number 2 is 4.125 inch, if my memory is operational at the moment. (no guuarantees or promises on that.)

Cold Steel FINN BEAR.

Some don't consider the Mora and FINN BEAR to be a Puukko because they are not made in Finland.

Last edited:
I'm new to fixed blades but looking to expand my horizons. I'd like to get myself a fixed blade for general use, hiking, camping, no every day carry though. Probably 4-5 inches and I like tool steels, not stainless. I also like traditional looking so wood, leather, maybe micarta scales/handles. And I'd like to keep the price low so under $200. Suggestions?
"Like to keep the price low" ... Well for general use, 4 5/16" long, 1075 High Carbon Steel, 1/8" thick blade ... maybe a CONDOR BUSHLORE
Anything in the $200 ballpark might get you a semi fancy knife but since you don't plan to EDC the fixed blade and intend to use it for general outdoor activities, the inexpensive Condor Bushlore just might fit the bill.
Condor is produced in El Savador, but the company is German owned and some of the employees have been trained in Solingen ... and reviews on the big river site look pretty good. Take a look at CONDOR TOOL & KNIFE.

Another line of fixed blade knives to take a look at is the MORAKNIV line. Fine knives at a budget price and there are several in the line that should fit the bill.

The BK62 was going to be my suggestion.
The Varusteleka Jääkkaripuukko would be another.
Becker BK16; you can add aftermarket micarta scales and still be well under your budget. Stripping the coating to reveal the 1095 CV is an easy and popular mod.
The Dexter-Russell 5” fish knife may not cost enough to suit you, but it will do everything you want this type of knife to do.
You could get a custom shop Buck 110 in 5160 and a drop point for well within your budget.

Actually, your $200 will get you some very good knives, most of which I can’t speak to because I don’t often spend that much on a knife. Bradford, Tops, Esee and Busse all have knives that might suit you.

Last edited:
Another vote for an older Western knife. They are nearly always on sale on the 'bay.... I'm currently "watching" two of them, and they normally sell for about 1/4 of your $200 limit. Western used a very nice carbon steel in their knives, and they normally will take a VERY nice edge.
I currently own these two... possibly will add another one today.... o_O :thumbsup:

j22nTx.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't know anything about Western knives but I like the ones posted here. Gives me a little more direction for looking

Cross Knives makes some beautiful more traditional looking fixed blades. I think his smaller ones are normally in the 200 dollar range. Maybe a little more though

I'm a Canadian Schrade collector so two names come to mind, Schrade and Grohmann. Schrade made a ton of different patterns that are still very affordable on the secondary market but many are delrin handled... some aren't though.

This link to Schrade's flyers could help you find something vintage and useful. Schrade flyers

I often bring a Grohmann survival knife (Russell #4) when camping. It's a big useful blade (5-1/2") and the standard rosewood handles are very attractive and durable. It also comes in stag and micarta flavours. You can choose flat or sabre grind, carbon or stainless.

A carbon, flat-ground Russell #4 would be great in the kitchen and the field. Cheers!

Grohmann #4 Survival knife (link to Grohmann website, prices in Canadian dollars)

Back