Help me fix a broken hatchet

Dear bladeforums members, help me please

yesterday I went outside and had a lot of fun with my hardware store hatchet. I figured out that I could get it to stick into trees if I threw it properly, I cut some stuff, I missed some trees, overall it got abused. There are 2 cracks in the shaft of the handle. Im not sure whether I should try to re handle it or tape it up somehow. The blade also got seriously messed up, it rolled, got chipped, and really went through hell. and also, if I do decide to put a new handle on, I will probably make it myself. If I get it to fit inside the axe head but not tightly do I soak it in linseed oil to tighten it up?

Duct tape and superglue are a quick fix, but you can buy a new handle for less than $5 at most hardware stores. Don't know what to tell you about the edge, but I'd just use that hatchet for throwing at targets and buy a new one for chores. Respect your tools in the future.

Dear bladeforums members, help me please

yesterday I went outside and had a lot of fun with my hardware store hatchet. I figured out that I could get it to stick into trees if I threw it properly, I cut some stuff, I missed some trees, overall it got abused. There are 2 cracks in the shaft of the handle. Im not sure whether I should try to re handle it or tape it up somehow. The blade also got seriously messed up, it rolled, got chipped, and really went through hell. and also, if I do decide to put a new handle on, I will probably make it myself. If I get it to fit inside the axe head but not tightly do I soak it in linseed oil to tighten it up?

does your mom & dad know about this ???

Tape won't do you any good, tried it, it didn't work. Check the hardware store you bought it at, most of them will have handles that will fit snugly. If you put gorilla glue on the wedge before tapping it in and wet it, it will expand and tighten it up real good, then metal wedges will tighten that up even more. Don't use the round ones though, they're junk, I've had nothing but trouble with them. I've never made my own handle but the gorilla glue should work regardless. As far as the blade is concerned, a dremel or grinder would take the chips right out. A file will work too but will take longer. You might want to consider not throwing the hatchet anymore as well, it will keep breaking like that, but that's up to you.

i use my hatchet for cutting and whatever else i need to do, i know im not supposed to throw it. duh but its not a precious 100 dollar hatchet it was 15 dollars and it is really fun

thanks for the hlpe, i useda file and it worked pretty well, then i went over it with a course stone, then it got dmt 600 grit. looks good to me, thanks for the help

Wrap the handle with some think copper wire. If you can open up the split, work some glue into it. You could tack it up afterwards.

Back