Help me identify this Darrel Ralph prototype

I am considering a trade for the knife pictured below. I believe it is an AK/1 prototype. I found this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/351412-Darrel-Ralph-AK-1-Proto. The only picture left in the thread has a DLC coated dark satin blade and the knife pictured below has a silver satin blade.

Here's the pictures.
DDRAK1-1st.jpg

DDRAK1-2nd.jpg

DDRAK1-3rd.jpg

I just want to know what I'm getting. The knife looks correct to me but the blade difference is a concern.

I was told by the current owner it was purchased from 2thehilt.com in 2006 so the time frame fits with the thread I posted above. When I checked out 2thehilt.com it looks like an ebay gateway. I did find some feedback about the company from maybe 2005 and I guess at that time it was a real online knife site.

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Last edited:
I have never seen anything like that. Email the man directly and ask. dralphh at gmail dot com (yes he has two Hs in his email).

I'm forwarding Darrel this thread too.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of those protos until this thread -- they came out years before I got into knife collecting -- but the knife pictured certainly looks like a genuine DDR piece. As far as the design, everything from the blade and handle shape to the safety/opening button suggests that the protos were a precursor to the production Meyerco/HTM 18XRAY automatic.

It looks correct for a DDR piece. Blade markings look right. It looks to me to be the working concept/prototype for the 18xray.

2thehilt used to be an on line dealer and they did a fair amount of business with Darrel.

Thanks for the email address harkamus. I just sent an email to Darrel.

I went ahead with the deal based on the responses I got here. I am excited to receive it but it's coming from China so I don't know how long it will take.

I'm still hoping to confirm the knife with Darrel in the thread or by email. I appreciate those that posted here. I was not familiar with Darrel's knives until this was offered to me. He makes amazing knives and you all seem to have a good strong community here on Bladeforums. I really like auto's and this is another makers work for me to appreciate and study. :)

Thanks for the email address harkamus. I just sent an email to Darrel.

I went ahead with the deal based on the responses I got here. I am excited to receive it but it's coming from China so I don't know how long it will take.

I'm still hoping to confirm the knife with Darrel in the thread or by email. I appreciate those that posted here. I was not familiar with Darrel's knives until this was offered to me. He makes amazing knives and you all seem to have a good strong community here on Bladeforums. I really like auto's and this is another makers work for me to appreciate and study. :)

I assumed Darrel got back with you, but I guess not. I emailed him and showed him the link to this thread. He confirmed to me that it's legit.

Hi Guys,
This is an AK1 Prototype 18-xray
We made less that 10 each.
I believe we made 2 in this color of inlay.
Hand rubbed blades were part of the appeal.
Enjoy

Back