Help me name my machete design - The Barax

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi guys and gals, here is the prototype of a seax chopper design that I have made and been refining this year. A few pics and some background to help get the ideas going:

IMG_5866.JPG

I've made a number of them in 1084 and 1080 at various thickness, including 1/4", 3/16", 5/32" and 1/8". Blade lengths have ranged from 13 to 16 inches. I have a few on the way in 3/32" 15N20 at 14", and have two AEB-L blanks in the shop to eventually make at 1/8" and also 14".

IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6166.JPG

- the palm swell version above doesn't technically count.

The design basically combines concepts from the seax, namely a long straight edged blade with a decent point, with a barong style handle, notable for the bird's beak at the end. I've given it an extra long handle to provide the knife counterbalance for a variety of tasks and to increase nimbleness in the forward grip, and extra leverage for chopping in the rear grip or somewhere in between. It can also be used in a hand and a half manner, or two handed if you have small hands.

IMG_6095.JPG
IMG_6097.JPG
IMG_6096.JPG IMG_6101.JPG
IMG_6104.JPG

I have just been calling it the "Barong Seax", but that name is not the most creative. I think there's a reason Chevy went with the name "El Camino" and not "The Car Truck". :rolleyes: So help me brainstorm a new name for my design?

IMG_6790.JPG
IMG_7603.JPG

Here's some of what it can do, despite my lack of skill:

not good with names. i prefer numbers such as model 1. thats me though.

nice work though, thats why I posted. just to say that.

Hi guys and gals, here is the prototype of a seax chopper design that I have made and been refining this year. A few pics and some background to help get the ideas going:

View attachment 1421503

I've made a number of them in 1084 and 1080 at various thickness, including 1/4", 3/16", 5/32" and 1/8". Blade lengths have ranged from 13 to 16 inches. I have a few on the way in 3/32" 15N20 at 14", and have two AEB-L blanks in the shop to eventually make at 1/8" and also 14".

View attachment 1421506
View attachment 1421505

- the palm swell version above doesn't technically count.

The design basically combines concepts from the seax, namely a long straight edged blade with a decent point, with a barong style handle, notable for the bird's beak at the end. I've given it an extra long handle to provide the knife counterbalance for a variety of tasks and to increase nimbleness in the forward grip, and extra leverage for chopping in the rear grip or somewhere in between. It can also be used in a hand and a half manner, or two handed if you have small hands.

View attachment 1421512
View attachment 1421509
View attachment 1421508 View attachment 1421510
View attachment 1421511

I have just been calling it the "Barong Seax", but that name is not the most creative. I think there's a reason Chevy went with the name "El Camino" and not "The Car Truck". :rolleyes: So help me brainstorm a new name for my design?

View attachment 1421532
View attachment 1421530

Here's some of what it can do, despite my lack of skill:

Also, just to nit pick, Ford introduced the Ranchero a couple years before Chevy, so ya know... ;):p

Lots to think about. Thank you. But I would never use any kind of sexual innuendo, including plays on the word sexy. It's overdone, facile, and not in keeping with the type of brand image I want to build, besides being against my conscience.

nice work though, thats why I posted. just to say that.

Wow, thank you very much!

Whippoorwill. Idk why, but that’s what came to mind. Neat knife!

Interesting! I think it's my favorite so far, if perhaps because it's one of the less obvious ones. It's a contender at this point, but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back