Help me pick a PM2

Which PM2 should I get?

• Teal/S90V

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Purple/Cruwear

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Guys, help me out. I want to get a PM2 that isn't bog standard. But I can't decide between these two!

Feel free to add your reasons.

Guys, help me out. I want to get a PM2 that isn't bog standard. But I can't decide between these two!

Well, my reasons are pretty stupid, probably , and I feel a bit dumb admitting them but rather than vote and run, here you go.

I had a Military with S110V and got rid of it because I just couldn't deal with the sharpening. I have a PPT with S90V, but it has never gotten dull on me, as I actually have only used it for fondling.

So I have no experience sharpening either of the steels you are considering. I had the PM2 in cruwear and purple but traded it before it got marred up with use.

I like the purple, and am a CO Rockies fan. I saw them get whipped to the tune of 25-1 this year. It has not been a fantastic season. I do have four Spydies in the teal FRN, which is very cool. So maybe I should vote for both.

I bet the teal would show dirt worse.

There are some terrible reasons for ya! 😁

It depends mainly on your use, they are two pretty different steels.
If you have diamond sharpeners and you use your knife a lot, and can't or don't want to sharpen too often, then get the one with S90V. The edge should last for at least a week of hard use.
And if you use your knife less heavily or don't mind sharpening more often, then I suggest CW. It is more easy to maintain the edge.
I think Cruwear is more popular, but personally I would go with S90V.

Last edited:
Well, my reasons are pretty stupid, probably , and I feel a bit dumb admitting them but rather than vote and run, here you go.

I had a Military with S110V and got rid of it because I just couldn't deal with the sharpening. I have a PPT with S90V, but it has never gotten dull on me, as I actually have only used it for fondling.

So I have no experience sharpening either of the steels you are considering. I had the PM2 in cruwear and purple but traded it before it got marred up with use.

I like the purple, and am a CO Rockies fan. I saw them get whipped to the tune of 25-1 this year. It has not been a fantastic season. I do have four Spydies in the teal FRN, which is very cool. So maybe I should vote for both.

I bet the teal would show dirt worse.

There are some terrible reasons for ya! 😁
They are truly terrible... LOL

They are truly terrible... LOL
I know, right? My last PM2 buy was an orange G10 with black coated wharncliffe blade that I got to match a blackjack I own.

I go a lot by "what will this match" with new knife purchases anymore.

It depends mainly on your use, they are two pretty different steels.
If you have diamond sharpeners and you use your knife a lot, and can't or don't want to sharpen too often, then get the one with S90V. The edge should last for at least a week of hard use.
And if you use your knife less heavily or don't mind sharpening more often, then I suggest CW. It is more easy to maintain the edge.
I think Cruwear is more popular, but personally I would go with S90V.
Lately I lean more towards tool steels because they are tough and easier to sharpen and I don't have anything in Cruwear. So there's that.

My favorite is a KC exclusive smooth black G10 and DLC cruwear. I don't like how the lighter G10 and micarta scales pull the dye out of my blue jeans when clipped to the pocket. See what I mean?PXL_20230826_135239097.MP.jpgPXL_20230826_135222163.MP.jpg

Last edited:
I scored the KC exclusive on the exchange here. I've seen others pop up as well.

Go with CruWear and don't look back. Trust me you'll be happy with it. By far the best one I have in my rotation for a pm2. Had an s90v and a good portion of the very edge chipped off about a 1/4" creating a flat spot, weirdest thing I experienced for a simple piece of plastic. Also gave my nephew a DLT tan 20cv for a bday gift and he said he was cutting lace for concrete the blade cracked from the edge to the spydie hole. So now I gotta help him figure out if that's covered under warranty or something.

I suggest looking for something used with some aftermarket parts you like. Typically, such knives will sell with original hardware. Plus, the secondary market is brutal on aftermarket part value. You should be able to find a knife in the steel you want with a deep carry clip or some extra scales you like for close to market price for a new knife by itself.

My favorite is a KC exclusive smooth black G10 and DLC cruwear. I don't like how the lighter G10 and micarta scales pull the dye out of my blue jeans when clipped to the pocket. See what I mean?View attachment 2299519View attachment 2299520
Off topic but I bought the FFG foliage green G-10 Endura when they came out and my jeans left the same stain on the G-10.The knife though is custom quality.The fit and finish is impeccable.The fit of the lockbar in the notch is tight and no play in any direction.

What will you be doing with the knife? If it's pocket jewelry then it's obviously what you like the looks of better. If it's going to be a user, you'd really need to outline your expected use/cutting chores in order to make the best choice. ANYTHING along the lines of hard use, S90V would be very insensible choice. Cru-wear would be much better for harder use cases. If you're going to lower the edge angles significantly, again Cru-Wear will be better suited being lower carbide-steel and therefore more edge stability. Ease of sharpening will again go to Cru-Wear as the grindability should be MUCH higher than S90-V. Corrosion resistance may be the only thing S90-V does better.

Back