Help name this knife design? - The Prevail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprint made me think of Sprite (as in fairy, not the soda), which in turn made me think of Esprit. What's cool about both of those is that they're anagrams of SITREP. You're welcome...what did I win?:D

mind blown.jpg

The Capricious or The Mercurial

You could take this into some fun territory if you have a series planned. Maybe use planet names or astronomical constellations. Jupiter, Mercury, Sol.

Cut and paste from the web -
CAELUM – THE CHISEL
Genitive: Caeli

Caelum is one of the constellations created by Nicolas Louis de Lacaille. He originally named it Caelum Scalptorium (or les Burins in French), which means “the engraver’s chisel” in Latin.

Ok, here's another one...how about Boris, as in Boris the Spider?

Who, the what, now? Ever since I was a boy, spiders have always been "Fred". For example, "I have a Fred living in my bathroom". It's my dad's fault. He started it.

S studio interesting ideas!

Caelum is one of the constellations created by Nicolas Louis de Lacaille. He originally named it Caelum Scalptorium (or les Burins in French), which means “the engraver’s chisel” in Latin.

Cealum is also Latin for "sky", "heaven", or "the heavens".

Because of the blade shape; Sweet Leaf.

How about the FLL - Freshly Legal Leaf? ;)

Gonna mull these all over tonight and maybe over the next few days. I am planning on having a hand profiled variant of this design ready for early next week, hopefully before my LC200N blanks arrive. I consider the completion of that knife my deadline to choose a name.

How bout Salem(Sah-lem- not Say-Lem)
It’s derived from the Hebrew words Shalem which means perfect or complete. It happens to also give a hidden nod to the man who designed so many of Spydercos Knives and is also the owner.... SAL Glesser...

Who, the what, now? Ever since I was a boy, spiders have always been "Fred". For example, "I have a Fred living in my bathroom". It's my dad's fault. He started it.

S studio interesting ideas!

Cealum is also Latin for "sky", "heaven", or "the heavens".

How about the FLL - Freshly Legal Leaf? ;)

Gonna mull these all over tonight and maybe over the next few days. I am planning on having a hand profiled variant of this design ready for early next week, hopefully before my LC200N blanks arrive. I consider the completion of that knife my deadline to choose a name.

It's a song from the 60s, but maybe too obscure:oops:

The Carya, or hickory tree has wood used for axe, shovel, and other tool handles. It's known for having dense, tight grain. It's also known for endurance, and resilience, with an ability to flex under pressure.. Carya would also make a great name for a knife.

Have a crazy idea, David: why don’t you call it the “Mandela” ? Sounds like a Spydie, fits these crazy times, and the name certainly expresses endurance in my mind.

The version I have is so light and easy to carry on hikes that I forget it's with me....

I could it see it named the Slim Reaper. Although, that names conjures up images of death or a poor harvest.

The latin word Indomitus comes to mind, but may be it's more apt of a moniker for a sword or large chopper. Yet, does fit into a theme in this thread about words related to endurance and perseverance.

Or something latin but primal, like Raptor or Rex....the Rex Lite....

Perhaps a nod to wander lust, far adventure, hobbits: Explorer, Scout, Herald, Splinter, Shard, Ranger, Navigator?

Weasels are a cool animal - slight, stealthy, and fierce littler predators: Weasel Utility or the Speed Weasel.

May be you could do a series of blades using the Mustelid family: Wolverine, Badgers, Weasel (Stoat, and Ermine in the winter), Ferret, Mink, Pine Marten, Fisher, and Otter.

Wow, I'm falling behind!

How bout Salem(Sah-lem- not Say-Lem)
It’s derived from the Hebrew words Shalem which means perfect or complete. It happens to also give a hidden nod to the man who designed so many of Spydercos Knives and is also the owner.... SAL Glesser...

That's a neat idea. Sal is definitely an giant of knife design, whose ideas have influences me greatly.

It's a song from the 60s

Aha got it. I'm more likely to avoid using pop culture references. But I have to admit, from your posts, I didn't have you pegged as a boomer!

The Carya, or hickory tree has wood used for axe, shovel, and other tool handles. It's known for having dense, tight grain. It's also known for endurance, and resilience, with an ability to flex under pressure.. Carya would also make a great name for a knife.

This one's on the list, thanks MH!

Have a crazy idea, David: why don’t you call it the “Mandela” ? Sounds like a Spydie, fits these crazy times, and the name certainly expresses endurance in my mind.

It's a neat shout out to civil rights, but I don't know if I can make a real connection between this knife and the South-African anti-apartheid leader who died in prison in the 80s. What about maybe the Culumbuuuu, or the Berensteeeeen? ;):D

The latin word Indomitus comes to mind, but may be it's more apt of a moniker for a sword or large chopper. Yet, does fit into a theme in this thread about words related to endurance and perseverance.

Or something latin but primal, like Raptor or Rex....the Rex Lite....

Did you just finish watching Jurassic World?

Perhaps a nod to wander lust, far adventure, hobbits: Explorer, Scout, Herald, Splinter, Shard, Ranger, Navigator?

Weasels are a cool animal - slight, stealthy, and fierce littler predators: Weasel Utility or the Speed Weasel.

May be you could do a series of blades using the Mustelid family: Wolverine, Badgers, Weasel (Stoat, and Ermine in the winter), Ferret, Mink, Pine Marten, Fisher, and Otter.

Also interesting ideas. I'd lean more towards the adventure themed names over the mustelids, I think anyway. Regardless, you've given me lots more to think about! Don't make it any easier on me... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back