Help on perfect edc small to medium serrated not assist

Man, there are a LOT of knives and models available. I remember growing up you had Buck 110 and the Mercator widely available for lockbacks. Not counting slipjoints.

What I'm looking for:

small to medium size

It locks, but dislike liner locks, don't like putting fingers in front of blade and when hands are oily, sweaty, etc. hard to manipulate. Open to other variety of locks.

Don't like assisted opener, but have come to like flippers on the blade in addition to stud
or spyder hole

not massive or heavy

partial or full serrated

flexible on handle materials but nothing weird must be comfortable

flexible on price

I already have lots of Spyderco's and Benchmade's. Like em but want something new

Like Ontario RAT folder but only large size is serrated. Have never found a serrated small size

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I’m guessing it might be hard to find a lockback with a flipper...

The Byrd Hawkbill is a good full serrated knife. I use mine for yardwork. I don’t do partial serrations - not enough of either type of edge to be usable on a folder blade.

Doesn't have to have flipper, just threw that in for choices.
I found a Byrd Robin serrated couple years ago and gave to family member. Looks like they don't
make them anymore but keep checking on line auction and knife sites.

Don't want to sound like a total fanboy but when I need serrated I reach for Spyderco every time. It's one of their specialties and the choices are many, from tiny Dragonfly to huge Civilian, with handle and steel choices galore.

It locks, but dislike liner locks, don't like putting fingers in front of blade and when hands are oily, sweaty, etc. hard to manipulate. Open to other variety of locks.

I'm a bit confused by this one. Many types of lock require your fingers to be in the blade path at some point. Are you only looking for those that don't, like Axis locks?

along with BM Axis locks, the spyderco PM 2 doesn't require placing your fingers in front of the blade

I didn’t see any at Bf dealers but I did see some in the rainforest. I didn’t look all that long though.

Don't know what you consider medium but I put this in the medium size. Screenshot_20191117-150204_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20191117-150227_Samsung Internet.jpg
You mentioned you had a buck 110 and you didn't like putting your fingers in the way of the blade when closing it with sweaty hands. This has a flipper and a G&G lock . At blade HQ.

I believe there is a partially shredded version.

Check out the Cold Steel Tuff Lite. It comes full serrated with a very utilitarian tip.

No flipper on this one. Really affordable though.

CS has a couple videos of them beating the bejeezus out of one if you are interested.

Josh at @razor-edge-knives can put serrations on any blade you want. Not sure if there are any limitations on blade steels. You could always email him and ask. He has a stellar reputation here on BF.

Maybe a Buck 112 and add serrations?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-112-Slim-Pro-Lockback-Folding--88733

I tend to think Spyderco when I hear "fully or partial serrated".
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Rescue-79-mm--6371?

BTW, you like the Rat 1 folder but it's a liner lock and you don't want a liner lock correct?
I guess you could go Rat 2 and add serrations too.

To clarify a few things but first, would like to thank all who commented.
The general forum moves fast!! New posts all the time.

Nothing wrong with Buck 110 or lock, traditional lockback. The beginning of my posts was a trip down memory lane 50 years ago when it was one of few serious folders around. Now, so many new ones popping up all the time.

I do own a bunch of liner locks. If made well, thick with no play and slightly protruding liner, their OK but may have skinny, recessed liner you have to reach into to deactivate.

Yes, Rat knives are liner locks but I was more thinking about size difference of RAT 1 and Rat 2 and can't understand why one is serrated and one is not. I own both.

That Buck 830 is really interesting, no serrations but has a flipper and decent lock.

Never owned a Cold Steel Tuff lite but may order one to play around with. Do have an older Voyager and it is decent but slow to get out.

Do like Spyderco's and have a Native. In fact, one of my EDC's is a Spyderco Copilot, serrated, purchased a long time ago before 911 and marketed as a blade to board commercial flights. Those days are over.

First saw flippers a few years ago and really like them but it seems many are paired with "assisted opening" which I don't care for.

Last edited:
You could always get the buck 830 and have @razor-edge-knives put a serrated edge on it. I know that would fill your every request but as far as my knife knowledge goes I think with a flipper and not sticking your hand in the way of the blade your about limited. There are a few button locks out there. But the same thing is going to be needed. Sent off to @razor-edge-knives for a serrated edge to be added. Check out hogue knives, drop aka mass drop and there's few more but flippers and lock bars kind of go hand and hand.

Last edited:
The Spyderco lil native is a ffg SE blade and cuts well.

Available in compression or back lock.

But not in a flipper.
Scratch that I just reread his requirements. Flipper is not a requirement. He was just throwing that out there. He is however looking for something different. He had spyderco and benchmade already. I like the little native. Its a great knife

Back