HELP, Ontario rat 3 or Tops

Thinking of getting an Ontario Rat 3 or a Tops Iraq Jac or Blue otter. Anyone own either of these? I want a 3-3 1/2 inch fixed blade for EDC. Any input would be a help.

Of those 3 knives, the RAT-3 without a doubt. I owe one and it's a great knife that can do some real work. I also own a Blue Otter. Too small to be of any real use (check the picture). I'll be selling it, if that tells you anything. I don't own the Iraq-Jac but after looking at a picture and its dimensions, I still say the RAT-3.

Click image to enlarge.
IMG_0011.JPG

As a side note, I EDC a Bob Dozier Arkansas Traveler. The sheath is a horizontal cross-draw that lays flat against my stomach. I have a couple of other Doziers I also EDC. If the cost it not within your budget, then go for the RAT-3. Everybody that owns one really likes it.

Regards

The RAT-3 is a marvellous knife. It is very comfortable to carry, I have much smaller fixed blades that seem bulkier.

I've used mine for about anything, both in the woods and in the city, I love it. The handle is a tad on the small side if you have big hands, but I guess it's the price you've got to pay for a compact knife. I've got big hands, and while I could use an extra inch I still find it comfortable.

Have you thought about this TOPS knife.the spec is from Newgraham Knives....it says out of stock but they would order you one in.I have a TOPS Wolfpup and they are superb quality knives !!! TOPS Tom Brown Scout
TOPSTBS

TOPS

TOPS Tom Brown Scout Length Overall 7.25" Length Blade 3" Thickness Blade 5/32" Weight 6 oz Blade Steel 1095 High Carbon .Alloy 58RC Blade Style Spear Point Blade Color Tactical Black Handle Type Black Linen Micarta Sheath Material Kydex Heavy Duty LBE Mfg. Handcrafted in the USA
$86.95

Without a doubt the RAT3 is by far the best knife in the categorey that you mentioned. It is a well thought out design with a great sheath system.

Another vote for the RAT3. Liked mine so much that it led to the purchase of a RAT5, a pair of RAT7s, and an RTAK. You've been warned. :thumbup:

cheers

ooops:eek: , quick question. Is the rat 3 to intimidating or too large to use in public? I've seen pics but never seen one up close.

No. The RAT-3 is cool... very subdued.... but you know it'll do the job. I love that belly on the blade.

But then...... what do you mean by "in public"? Like, in the courtroom? Yea...don;t take it in there. At the steakhouse? That'd be a good place for a RAT-3..... or RAT-5. The blade length on the RAT-3 is just shy of 3-1/2" and the overall length 7-3/4".

It's a very innocuous looking knife to the casual observer - which is who you'd be worried about upsetting. It also comes with a Kydex sheath that has a clip on the back. You could clip it anywhere...it's pretty cool. The clip can be removed by two bolts/nuts (ain't Kydex kind of great?) and then you can install the TekLok that also comes with it. Ontario did a fine job with this little baby. It's even nice enough for neck carry.

Now, if only they'd relent and offer a RAT-5 in D2.

No FX.....it's only available in 1095. Supposedly, some dealers (at least one I know) is going to ask Ontario to make some RAT-5s in D2, because of customer demand. But as of right now, there's no D2 version that I'm aware of.

It looks very much like the 1095 RAT5 even down to the tan scales. All the D2 version of the other sizes all seem to have black micarta scales and the RAT logo etched on the blade. I would question the E bay listing before buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ontario-8627-RA...a-Handles_W0QQitemZ290066162401QQcmdZViewItem
I saw the above while searching. I know Ebay is not the most reliable for info but I didn't look further when I posted.
I looked on Ontarios sit'e and the RAT 3 isn't even listed so it's not up to date either...........................

I have had several email exchanges with Ontario about the possibility of a RAT-5 in D2. They said probably early in 2007. There is no RAT-5 in D2 at the present. The Ebay ad is incorrect. One thing I notice is that Ontario D2 has an Rc of 58-60. This ad states 55-57 Rc. Here is a magazine cover story about the RAT-5 and it clearly states 1095 carbon steel.

Click image to enlarge.
http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=rat5

Regards

i'd go for the TOPS Blue Otter

have you considered the Buck Strider Solution 888 as well?

denn

I'm with F3X, I really thought I saw a Rat in an A G Russell catalog with D2 blades and bone scales as a colledtor series of these knives. If so they were probably exclusive to that distributor. If not, then some other company maybe ... but I am fairly sure I saw at least one version being offered cuz' I thought .... "D=2 Rat ... Waka - Waka" :)
WOOK

I'm with F3X, I really thought I saw a Rat in an A G Russell catalog with D2 blades and bone scales as a colledtor series of these knives. If so they were probably exclusive to that distributor. If not, then some other company maybe ... but I am fairly sure I saw at least one version being offered cuz' I thought .... "D=2 Rat ... Waka - Waka" :)
WOOK

It's possible John that Ontario made some for distribution by another company, especially if it had bone scales and was a collector.

But I did go to the ebay site that F3X saw, and that one is clearly 1095 or, better put, clearly NOT D2. Maybe the seller thinks it is or they mis-typed.... you know - copy & paste "Oops. Forgot to change that one to 1095".

Back