1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Help Please ID a couple of hatchets

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by RayseM, Mar 2, 2016.

1. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Here are 2 that I don't know much about. Wonder if anyone can give me some info.

#1 (on the bottom) is a Plumb carpenters hatchet (I think) but looking from you to identify the age of this tool + whatever else you might know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 The one on the top in the photo above - is one I found in the woods in my backyard when I was a kid in the early 60s,

YUP - most of you weren't born yet :) Pretty cool little hatchet - 4 -1/2" head length x 3" blade width with a 12" handle that is very comfortable. No visible markings to ID this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any guesses out there? Ideas on the steel used for each? Should I just buff it and generally recondition and continue using it (with more respect) without concern to it's historic value ? :D

Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Could you show a photo of the top of hatchet #2, like this view:

[​IMG]

This will show whether it has ridges, which could point to Kelly as the maker.

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That plumb seems modern to me like 80's+ ( Cooper era because it has a red painted handle with white lettering ) and it's a half hatchet ( a general carpentry / utility tool )

4. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    I quite agree with the Cooper-Plumb identification of the carpenters hatchet. 1981 was when Cooper took over Ames who took over Plumb in 1971) at the oldest. No name hatchets (I hate to say this) only real value is sentimental and/or for actual use. I pretty much had to give away the 1/2 dozen I gathered up over the past 40 years and they looked just like yours. Mind you I never paid anything for them either as they were often foundlings during Estate cleanups, hastily abandoned/tenant eviction rental units and house renos.

5. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    There is another bit of writing on it that says Cooper Tool. Right you are then and that dates it. I didn't think it was old though I'm pretty sure I've had it since the 90s and maybe a bit longer. Hardly used it though as you can see.

Thanks for the info.

6. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    I won't be able to photograph again until Friday. Meanwhile I've looked at the head and there are no discernible ridges - just an elongated oval hole that comes to a sharp point. As you can see from the flare on the butt, I have beaten on this over 50 years :rolleyes:

7. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    The hatchet with the orange paint looks almost the color that Sandvik painted their heads. Pulled this image from Google.

[​IMG]

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The poll on that hatchet sure is mushroomed out, if i were you I'd put on some safety goggles and pound it back with a ball peen hammer ( if you can get it hammered back enough it'll look better than if it was filled off )

9. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    Can do!

Meanwhile I'll start researching old Sandvic axes/hatchets.

10. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Okay, no ridges. No need to take another photo.

11. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    I still have the orange 2 1/4 lb Sandvik that my dad bought for me in the early 1960s. If you put a straight edge across the blade and it's flat then you are on to something (ie it's European for sure) but if the blade is thicker in the middle than along the sides you're more likely looking at domestic manufacture. Also the Swedes are/were pretty conscientious about stamping 'Sweden', at very least, on all of their goods.

12. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    Likely not European then, it definitely has a swell in the cheeks and no discernible writing. Maybe some generic old American.

13. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    Seems to me almost every major hardware chain contracted out for axes/hatchets and hammers 50-90 years ago. Either they were specifically logo stamped or bore paper labels. I think one of the 'no name' makers (Plumb?) stamped a small star, crescent, square or some such on the right side of a head.

14. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    Haha, I recognize that hatchet. Sees a fair bit of use from what I've seen.

15. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    I need to clean the surface and scrutinize with a magnifier. Maybe some info will be revealed.

Thanks everyone for your contribution to my investigation. Any other guesses welcomed and in the meantime I'll get to reconditioning this mystery hatchet. It's a comfortable tool to use and worth some care.