• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

help please

v-6

I have been doing 1095 3/16 for about 2 years and only had 2 or 3 blades bow.
now i'm trying 1095 3/32 and they bow during cool down this is after i bring them out of quench. please someone tell me how do you keep it from doing this. this is what i been doing.
bring to 1500, quench in parks 50 as soon as it has had a little time in the oil, i take it to the anvil and make sure it is straight and then let it cool .
heck i even took and placed it between two plates and clamped them down.
opened the plates up and had a bow in it.
:eek:
vern

Last edited:
Are you stress relieving or normalizing prior to hardening? That may help, and make sure you're not laying the blades down on the anvil. If so, the anvil will act as a heat sink and cool the anvil side faster than the other. If things look straight after checking, I place them back in the quench to finish cooling to quench temp, then I pull them out and place them on their spine to cool to room temp without messing with them.

--nathan

Are you stress relieving or normalizing prior to hardening? That may help, and make sure you're not laying the blades down on the anvil. If so, the anvil will act as a heat sink and cool the anvil side faster than the other. If things look straight after checking, I place them back in the quench to finish cooling to quench temp, then I pull them out and place them on their spine to cool to room temp without messing with them.

--nathan

Thanks Nathan, on another board Ray helped me out and it worked.
but i will remember what your saying here. (sounds right)
thanks vern

Back