Help. question about dmt diafold.

So I've been using the coarse/fine diafold and recently purchased the ef/eef. I'm a little concerned about the eef side. All of the surfaces have holes that I assume are to collect the metal that's being taken off the blade. The thing is, on all three sides (coarse, fine, ef) the material in the holes is pretty much flush with the metal surface. On the eef side, the holes are significantly recessed. To the point where you can hear the blade kind of (tac tac tac) wash boarding as it moves across the stone. Curious if anyone else has used the eef diafold and if there's is the same or is mine not right? I've sharpened with it a few times and it seems to work ok, but I find it odd that its set up so different from the per sides.

Thanks,

Lance

I've had the same feeling with the 6" EF but I think it's just that, a feeling. When the diamonds get less agresive you feel more the interrupted surface while sharpening, but it works just fine

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but I checked it carefully. The holes are definitely deeper on the eef side. I'm going to keep using it and if it works, it works, but when I hear (and feel) my blade "klak klak klaking" across what's supposed to be an extra extra fine stone it makes me a bit dubious.

The 'feel' will get better to some extent, in terms of the diamond itself 'breaking in' and providing smoother feedback. The other thing to watch out for, is to avoid using heavy pressure, especially in the finer hones. Edges will be better off for it, and it's better for the hone too. Diamond cuts steel so aggressively that, even at very fine grits, too much pressure will over-grind an edge, leaving it less refined than it otherwise should be for the grit in use. Too-heavy pressure will also leave a somewhat wavy-looking finish on the bevels, when sharpened on the interrupted (polka-dot) surface of the Dia-Fold and Duo-Sharp hones. The apparent recess felt in the 'holes' of the hone isn't necessarily anything to worry about. It's just a matter of keeping pressure light, and allowing some time for the diamond surface to break in and smooth out, a little bit.

Using something to lubricate the hone also helps to smooth out the feedback. Water, water + dish detergent, or mineral oil can be used, depending on preference. Clean them up with water & dish detergent afterwards.

If there are irregular or larger-than-normal gritty bumps on the hones, a fine/ef ceramic can be used to very, very gently burnish them off. Avoid over-scrubbing with the ceramic.

David

Back