1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Help with a Delta-Z

Discussion in 'Delta-Z Knives' started by wolfmann601, Dec 9, 2001.

1. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    I just won the bid on a Delta-Z thru BA. The seller indicated it was a one of a kind Prototype. The Blade is a clip point Plain edge in Sandvik ( spelling) and the knife is a carbon fiber, not aluminum handle. Here is his pic. I cannot locate this configuration on the Delta-Z website and wondered if someone could give me some history. No ONE but me bid on this knife and it went for $70.00. It looks like a very fine Production piece to Not have generated more interest. here is the Pic: Any help would be appreciated.....wolf;)

2. Mark J

Mark J

Mar 15, 2001
    Wolfmann,

While the exact same knife isn't on their site, here is one that seems to be similar, only it's a tanto blade.

http://www.estoremanager.com/deltazkniv-118/Product.asp?ProductID=394811

The price is $199, so if you're getting a similar one for $70, it might be a heck of deal...particularly if it's a prototype. Here's some info from another post that talks about the composition of Sandvik 12C27. So far I've been really pleased with the Sandvik 12C27 in the Osprey I got from Delta-Z. Reminds me a lot of AUS8.

"Sandvik 12C27 is a martensitic stainless chromium steel with an optimised analysis for high quality professional knives application. After heat treatment the composition of carbon and chromium gives a unique combination of properties including:
    - Very high hardness
    - Good corrosion resistance
    - Very good wear resistance

This grade is also suitable for
    - hunting and fishing knives
    - pocket knives
    - skate blades and ice drills { ...Guess the "Cast Away" character played by Tom Hanks had a 12C27 skate-blade-Axe!}

Carbon= 0.6% / Chromium= 13.5 % (No other elements are listed; probably not deemed important on ther lists...)
    Source: Sandvik Web Site"

- Mark

3. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    I appreciate the info. I was very surprised to find NO ONE bidding on this knife. I have done business with this Seller before, so I trust him. The Delta-Z line of knives is a "new" line of production knives for me. I saw a few at the show in MA. and was very surprised at their quality for a "small-shop" Production knife. They appear to be well made.(in comparison to a "large-shop, I.E=Benchmade)
    What threw me off was that for six days, NO ONE opened the bidding, which began at $70.00. The write-up stated a "one of a kind, there is no other, never will be" and listed a retail of $200, I went to the web-site and sure enought, there sat the knife, but in a Tanto configuration. So I bid the opening bid of $70.00 and thats where it stayed.
    I am just very curious as to WHY this configuration is a "one of a kind". This looks like an ideal EDC and would think Delta-Z would have made the Carbon-Fiber model in something other than Tanto. Anymore info on "why they DID NOT"?
    Thanks.....wolf;)

4. BarnZ

BarnZ

Aug 2, 1999
    Sorry for the late reply gentlemen - I've been out of the country this past week.

The knife you bought for $70.00 is in a clip point, teflon coated configuration which was NEVER put into production. That is why it's a one of a kind. You got a bargain for sure.

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks.