Help with a Delta-Z

wolfmann601

Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.
I just won the bid on a Delta-Z thru BA. The seller indicated it was a one of a kind Prototype. The Blade is a clip point Plain edge in Sandvik ( spelling) and the knife is a carbon fiber, not aluminum handle. Here is his pic. I cannot locate this configuration on the Delta-Z website and wondered if someone could give me some history. No ONE but me bid on this knife and it went for $70.00. It looks like a very fine Production piece to Not have generated more interest. here is the Pic: Any help would be appreciated.....wolf;)

Wolfmann,

While the exact same knife isn't on their site, here is one that seems to be similar, only it's a tanto blade.

http://www.estoremanager.com/deltazkniv-118/Product.asp?ProductID=394811

The price is $199, so if you're getting a similar one for $70, it might be a heck of deal...particularly if it's a prototype. Here's some info from another post that talks about the composition of Sandvik 12C27. So far I've been really pleased with the Sandvik 12C27 in the Osprey I got from Delta-Z. Reminds me a lot of AUS8.

"Sandvik 12C27 is a martensitic stainless chromium steel with an optimised analysis for high quality professional knives application. After heat treatment the composition of carbon and chromium gives a unique combination of properties including:
- Very high hardness
- Good corrosion resistance
- Very good wear resistance

This grade is also suitable for
- hunting and fishing knives
- pocket knives
- skate blades and ice drills { ...Guess the "Cast Away" character played by Tom Hanks had a 12C27 skate-blade-Axe!}

Carbon= 0.6% / Chromium= 13.5 % (No other elements are listed; probably not deemed important on ther lists...)
Source: Sandvik Web Site"

- Mark

I appreciate the info. I was very surprised to find NO ONE bidding on this knife. I have done business with this Seller before, so I trust him. The Delta-Z line of knives is a "new" line of production knives for me. I saw a few at the show in MA. and was very surprised at their quality for a "small-shop" Production knife. They appear to be well made.(in comparison to a "large-shop, I.E=Benchmade)
What threw me off was that for six days, NO ONE opened the bidding, which began at $70.00. The write-up stated a "one of a kind, there is no other, never will be" and listed a retail of $200, I went to the web-site and sure enought, there sat the knife, but in a Tanto configuration. So I bid the opening bid of $70.00 and thats where it stayed.
I am just very curious as to WHY this configuration is a "one of a kind". This looks like an ideal EDC and would think Delta-Z would have made the Carbon-Fiber model in something other than Tanto. Anymore info on "why they DID NOT"?
Thanks.....wolf;)

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen - I've been out of the country this past week.

The knife you bought for $70.00 is in a clip point, teflon coated configuration which was NEVER put into production. That is why it's a one of a kind. You got a bargain for sure.

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks.

Back