Help with acronyms

I give up. There isn't a sticky here for it and I keep seeing acronyms all over in threads when searching and reading but nobody ever explains what they stand for.

For example, when talking about how to sharpen a knife, what the hell is dps?

What is an inclusive angle?

Even in threads or posts that are linked as answers to sharpening questions it seems to just be assumed you know what the acronyms mean...frustrating

Feel free to throw as many acronym definitions as possible. Surely there is a thread somewhere?

DPS is the degrees per side. If I were to say 30 degrees inclusive that would mean both sides added up. So that case it would be 15 degrees per side.

You're on top of it rycen. I knew there was a thread in tech support somewhere but you already posted it. I still run across standard text messaging acronyms that have me scratching my head sometimes even though I should know them by now.

dps degrees per side
inclusive both bevels combined (40 inclusive means 20 per side)

One not mentioned yet here:

18 dps with a 20 "micro" means 18 degrees per side with a 20 degree micro-bevel (basically a teensy edge on the tip of your primary edge)

If you want to really twist your mind, visit the Busse forum. Acronyms abound!

I stopped bothering with that years ago. I've started just making up what I decide they stand for. Not sure why people get so excited about their Naturally Motivated Bowel Movements, but hey, to each their own.

Bwhahaha, now that's funny!

Since these questions seem to be about sharpening, I'm moving the thread to Maintenance.

LCP = Lower Critical Point. Minimum calculated pressure required to release abrasive from a whetsone.

I don't mind accronyms, but the first time you use the term in a post spell it out and then accronym away thereafter. It's not like they charge by the letter.
Most seasoned knifeaholics know the terms, but many reading on this site do not.

DPS is the degrees per side. If I were to say 30 degrees inclusive that would mean both sides added up. So that case it would be 15 degrees per side.
Presuming the DPS are the same … I've seen some knives with mighty uneven grinds side to side over the years. :( (some were on "good" brands, too. Not just on knife shaped objects from the likes of Frost.)
Haven't you?

The links are broken, here are the updated links:

I like acronyms and i write a lot, so here are a few acronyms for this forum section from my part, i talk like that a lot:
  • 204MF - the Spyderco Sharpmaker product (the full product or its conventional usage)
  • 204M - the Spyderco Medium ceramic rod, in the Sharpmaker's triangle rod form factor; ceramic color is brown
  • 204F - the Spyderco Fine ceramic rod, in the Sharpmaker's triangle rod form factor; ceramic color is white
  • 204UF - the Spyderco Ultrafine ceramic rod, in the Sharpmaker's triangle rod form factor; ceramic color is white
  • 204-freehanding - holding/using the 204MF in a less common way, freehandedly, not documented in the manual
  • 302M, 302F, 302UF - the Spyderco ceramics in the benchstone form factor; has almost "standard" benchstone size
  • DD57, DD57G, DD57M, DD57F - the sintered ruby ceramic Degussit DD57 in Coarse/Medium/Fine ©Kyocera/Frialit/Friatec/Aliaxis, distr. Gesswein USA; ceramic color is rubyred
  • PTS-method - using very specific successful home-made PT-strops (paper tape strops) for guided rod stropping on systems similar to Ruixin Pro III
  • RRS - a practical portable retractable hand-held round ruby rod sharpener of extreme hardness and fineness mostly for deburring purposes

Last edited:
Back