help with dye!

Help! I am having trouble getting an even color distribution on the leather sheaths I am making. I am using 6-7 oz and 8-9 oz veg tan and Feiblings dye. But the color comes out uneven. Anyone have suggestions?

I have the same problem...and when I try to cover things up by adding another coat, it gets darker.....I don't really mind it however....it ends up being like an antique look to it....:confused:

I was told to dampen the leather before dying to solve this and it worked for me.

Bob

Yup and make sure you clean the leather thoroughly with some deglazer (I use a light rub of acetone personally) to make sure you remove any oils, grease, factory grunge, etc. I wipe down with acetone, dampen the leather lightly and then flood the dye on with a wool dauber. Let dry entirely before adding additional color.

Fill a spray bottle with water and mist the sheath a couple times and then apply the dye. I use a paint brush and brush on the dye and work it into the seams. Let dry and apply neatsfoot oil and work it in with your hands.

Back