1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Help with Estwing Purchase?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Minnesota Man, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Hey fellas, I enjoy axes, hatches, and especially 'hawks. My main addiction is knives as to I'm more knowledgeable. That being said my local gun show has a guy selling an Estwing hatchet with a small poll, American made, stacked leather (semi- dry but salvageable handle scales), full metal construction, NO sheath and a fairly uneven grind.

I have some ability to fix her up with files and a lansky puck. I don't have the proper electric grinding equipment or skill. I have a WSKEO and a blade grinding attachment but don't trust myself with this old piece.
    My two questions are.
    A: Do you guys know the intended use of such a tool?

B: I'm pretty sure I know the answer. ..... is something like that worth the asking price of 15$?
    Tomorrow is the last day of the show and usually guys sell stuff much cheaper so they don't have to load it back up.

I know it's only 15$ but money is tight and I'm already kicking myself for walking away.
    Any thoughts besides "shit what's 15$?

BTW: couldn't take pics without promoting an unauthorized dealer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Eh, I personally don't think the steel is that great but I love the look of them. I even have an Estwing trim hammer with the stacked leather handle.
    If I were you and had the tools and the ability to bring her back to life, I think she'd make a nice winter project.

3. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Any idea on steel used? You know (generally) what the intended use is? And what I'm describing?

Thank you for time!

4. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    I dont know the steel used in the hatchet, but their hammers are top notch, I run a construction company and thats all we have used since i was young. Eastwing makes good stuff.

To me I'd buy new as they are only $35-50. Unless of course its special in some way.

5. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Thanks, as far as I know it isn't special. To me personally it's a piece on a vendors table. It's defiantly old but old doesn't mean valuable. And that's not my goal. Can I buy one new with leather stacked handle? I've with zero effort only seen the common rubber(?) handled.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  6. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Google Eastwing Hatchet and it should come up, may have to click on for sale tab at top. Prices range $35-60 and can be found at most hardware stores that carry Eastwing products like Ace or HDepot/Lowes.

Uncle Timbo and Minnesota Man like this.
  7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    yes you can buy the leather stacked handle hatchet for around $40 to $45

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  8. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    JJ's right, they sell them every day. I just wonder if it's older and has better steel than the ones made today.
    I still think it'd be a good winter project. Try to knock him down to ten bucks. Last day of the sale and he might not want to pack it home.

9. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    The show is at my local American Legion. After I made my rounds I was having a beer (4-5) and was telling my older buddy about my mixed feelings and he went and talked to the vendor. He felt like he'd knock the price down. He buys, sells, and trades with the best of them (not knife stuff, doesn't get my passion). The dealer wouldn't even go to 12$

The show for today ended at 5 at 5:06 I went back to see if the dude was there. He left. I don't want to kick myself in the ass tomorrow...

10. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    The steel used in Estwing hatchets is 1060. They were run on the soft side. My edge kept curling, during use so what I did was gave it a long cryogenic treatment. Which brought the hardness up. Then set the edge bevel at 21-22*. Then thinned the face. This hatchet is now working for me. DM

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Uncle Timbo and Minnesota Man like this.
  11. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    They are nice in that they are indestructable. Like Boxer.45 stated, their hammer are sweet as well. I worked on a 3 man crew building pole barns back in the 70's. I rocked a 28oz Estwing with a waffle head. I was driving 60 penny ring shaft nails.
    But like I said, I have a 16oz Estwing trim hammer with the stacked leather handle. I just love stacked leather handles.

[​IMG]

Batleship and Minnesota Man like this.
  12. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    The metal handles tend to transmit more shock the hand than wood handles do. And Estwing's hatchets tend to be a bit on the slim side making them fine for specific fine tasks but not very good for general duty hatchet work.

All Estwing's stuff is tough as nails - really well made.

This suggests a well worn old tool. If you feel like fixing it up and have the time on your hands then offer to buy it at a discounted price.

And I should ask, what do you want it for? Maybe we can suggest something better.

Minnesota Man likes this.
  13. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    I really don't need it and I own a few other hatchets but.... I generally pick up something at our local shows and the hatchet felt like it was calling to me.

I am aware that not a ton of money is involved. I'm really trying to figure out what it's intended use is?

It is a well used tool for sure yet, I can most likely bring it back to life.

14. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Pick it up if you need a beater.

15. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Or one to keep in your trunk or truck for preparedness.
    It would be a good father/son project.

Moonw likes this.
  16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    While this is true. The leather does reduce the vibration a good per cent and helps with the pounding. The tool is so dependable
    it makes it worth having. Then after correcting the face it will perform much better. DM

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  17. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    I think we all knew that I'd go back when the show opened. Here's what I came back with.......

Moonw likes this.
  18. Minnesota Man

Minnesota Man

Sep 30, 2014
    Three

Attached Files:

Silly Rabbit and Uncle Timbo like this.
  19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    That hatchet is in good shape. For $15 I would have brought it home. DM

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  20. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Riggers axe. Nice! Great for shaping pegs and such at your chopping block or stump.

Uncle Timbo likes this.