Help with handle finishing

This is one area I’m really struggling with and could really use some tips on how Tom get a better finish on my handles. Here’s my process:

I rough the shape in with a 60 grit belt, then move through the progression to 120, 220, 400, then 600 on the belt grinder. I’ve gone directly to finishing with boiled linseed oil or tru oil straight off the machine. I didn’t like that. So this last time I used the same progression and then hand sanded with 400 grit. Then I put on a coat of boiled linseed oil, let it sit for a few minutes, then wiped off the excess. I’m still not happy with this. The handles appear dull and lifeless to me.

Can someone please critique my process and let me know what I’m doing wrong? Perhaps I need to invest in a buffer and after the oil is dry, put a coat of wax on and then buff them to a shine? I don’t need a collector finish on them, as all my knives are working knives, but I still want them to look good. Any help y’all can give me is greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the last batch after a coat of linseed oil for reference.

3MQbx7C.jpg

One thing is to make sure you get all the scratches out from previous grits I see some vertical scratches on at least one of those. Also with wood I usually sand with the grain while hand sanding so it's easy to see any lingering machine scratches and also believe that leads to a better finish. To get a shiny handle you need to go high grit but you can get a nice shine even at 600-1000 grit if you do a few coats of true oil or lately I've been using minwax antique oil. Keep the coats thin.

After several tries (including some of what you have done) I’ve ended up stopping the grinder work at 220 or maybe 400, then progressing by hand up to 1200 or 2000. The hand work at those grits goes VERY fast, and the grinder at the finer grits just does not seem to give the same results (don’t know why). At 1200 or 2000 I then apply - believe it or not - car wax (Mothers carnuba). Three coats, drying thoroughly and buffing between. It is absolutely amazing how that first application just makes the grain pop. Final application is just refinement and “shine”.

this works for resinous tropical and stabilized woods. (Oh, and not my creation ... following recommendations of many others on this forum. :). )

Handle work is no different than sanding on a blade. You need to sand at an angle to previous grit to see the scratches.

Always sand with the grain. If you go to 600 on the grinder I’d hand sand at 400-800-1200. I’ve recently started using my buffer on wood handles and man they really have a nice luster, not a glossy shine on top of the wood like I get with several coats of Tru-oil but a nice deep luster.

You need to "wet-sand" the finish into the wood once the dry sanding is done. For a good shine, the finish needs to be IN the wood, not on the wood. Apply the finish and use the last grit paper you used for sanding (at least 800 grit) to sand it into the wood. Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off completely. Let dry and repeat several times. The surface should get shinier and shinier. After the last application, let dry completely for a few days and then buff. You can use a machine buffer with a light charge of Matchless white/pink, or by hand with a soft cotton cloth. If machine buffing, use a 4" to 6" soft cotton buff that has not been used to polish metal.

To get that glass-like shine you see on many knife photos, use stabilized woods. These only require sanding to a fine grit and a light buffing to shine..

I think nobody mentioned it explicitly, but there is a good reason why everybody uses Tru Oil. I have tried using BLO, homemade danish and other hardware store finishing oils and none have that hard and shiny finish you will achieve with multiple application of Tru Oil and wet sanding/hand polishing (or power buffing). Even a small buffer for a drill will do a good job on the handle.

A new process I want to try for non stabilised wood is soaking in half-oil (BLO and terpentin oil pin 1:1 ratio) for longiveaty and then after giving it up to 2 weeks drying time go for couple of finishing coats of Tru Oil. A little Tru Oil will last you very long, you only need couple of drops per application.

most wood is not dense enough to shine on its own. snakewood and ironwood will. for shine on most woods you need to fill the pores with the slurry and let it dry. tru oil is a surface finish, the other oil finishes are "in" the wood. thats why tru oil shines so well so quickly. but, the shine will also wear away. your snakewood looks like its not consistently sanded. i can see marks on it. just because you went to 600 on the belt does not mean there is not any 220 grit marks left.

C Cushing H. , what do you buff with? By hand or a buffing machine?
I just hand buff ... don’t want to go near a buffer. Then again, recently I have been using stabilized woods and resinous tropicals. It seems clear though that the method used depends on the type of material ... for non stabilized and non resinous woods, Stacy’s repeated wet sanding seems to be an approach many have taken to.

(aside - I do have several knives I made about 1 1/2 year ago with unstabilized black walnut. I used either tru oil or Linseed oil on them (but not wet sanded) In the time since then, the handles have definitely lost luster...)

I go up a 400 J Flex on the belt sander, and then hand sand 600 and up to 1200 or 1500, depending on the material. I use Tung Oil for handle finishes and let it soak in and do several coats of Tung Oil. I use Tru Oil occasionally, too.

Another suggestion I will give the OP ( and any other new reader) is to make and finish ONE knife at a time. Use what you learned from that knife to make te next better. By the time you have done four knives you should have improved considerably ... instead of having made the same errors four times.

Production runs are great for when you have all the details dialed on, but in the beginning (first year?) it is far better to only work one knife at a time.

You a
most wood is not dense enough to shine on its own. snakewood and ironwood will. for shine on most woods you need to fill the pores with the slurry and let it dry. tru oil is a surface finish, the other oil finishes are "in" the wood. thats why tru oil shines so well so quickly. but, the shine will also wear away. your snakewood looks like its not consistently sanded. i can see marks on it. just because you went to 600 on the belt does not mean there is not any 220 grit marks left.
You are correct. I got extremely frustrated with the snakewood. That’s the most difficult wood I’ve ever worked with. I had to drop down to a 36 grit belt to shape it. Then at the higher grits, it was very difficult to keep from burning it. I’ll probably put it back on the grinder to get it more consistent.

Thanks, everyone, for all the other tips. I’m definitely going to try some of those methods. As far as hand buffing, is clamping the knife in a vice and buffing with an old cotton t shirt ok?

I just hand buff ... don’t want to go near a buffer. Then again, recently I have been using stabilized woods and resinous tropicals. It seems clear though that the method used depends on the type of material ... for non stabilized and non resinous woods, Stacy’s repeated wet sanding seems to be an approach many have taken to.

(aside - I do have several knives I made about 1 1/2 year ago with unstabilized black walnut. I used either tru oil or Linseed oil on them (but not wet sanded) In the time since then, the handles have definitely lost luster...)

This is very true. A guy needs to spend enough time working with enough different woods to develop a process for each. Well not each, but each type I guess. How I do olive and orange osage is different from walnut which is different from stabilized woods which is different from some tropical hardwoods (rosewood, cocobolo, bocote, zircote etc).

I stop handle finishing on the grinder at 320 grit. I do take the top and bottom of the tang and handle to 600 but that is more for the tang, the handle is just along for the ride. The sides of the handle are stopped at 320. I then hand sand 400 (going withe the grain which is 90 degrees to the the 320) and then 600. Most woods I stop at 600 a few mostly ironwood I'll proceed on up. Ironwood benefits from going higher and I take it to 4000 using those 3M polishing papers from 1,200 on up. I use to do this to all woods but after hundreds of handles if not more I decided I was wasting my time. ALL woods except ironwood but including stabilized woods, get at least one coat of Watco Danish oil wet sanded and then when the slurry is almost dry, wiped off. I got this wiping off trick instead of letting it dry, from a custom double rifle maker, (Butch Searcy of the All American Double Rifle Co). His rifles start at 5 figures and go rapidly into 6! He's kinda got this wood finishing thing down. I started with Watco Danish oil many years ago. I have tried every every other oil already mentioned and some not mentioned and for my knives, most are which are using knives as are the OPs, I've come back to the Watco Danish oil. So when I tried tung oil it was on several hundred knives, I probably used Tru Oil on a thousand or more same with other oil finishes, it wasn't one or two knives, its a significant amount of knives. So coming back to the danish oil is significant too.

After wet sanding on light colored woods (olive, osage, even light colored stabilized woods etc) I do not buff at all. Even with a new buff you are still hitting the tang and pins so you are gonna get some gunk. So I've gone to hitting the now dried at least over night, handle with some of the polishing papers starting at 1200 and then 2,000 and then 4,000. This is very lightly and brings a nice satiny sheen to the wood. Then several coats of Mother's Carnuba car wax each hand buffed off with an old t shirt or a cotton ball. They be done. The other woods are gonna see some power buffing time. They too are wet sanded and wiped and repeated until the grain/pores are filled. Again allowed to dry at least overnight if not longer. Then on a loose buff hit lightly with pink scratchless. I rub the same wax on with a clean cotton ball. It's really used more as a cleaner to get rid of any buffing gunk. The second coat is used more as a wax and swirled on. They are both removed with a dedicated buffer just for wax. Then I tape off the handle to finish the rest of the knife. After it's done the whole knife gets another coat of wax and she's ready to be sharpened. After hand sanding on ironwood it goes directly to the pink scratchless and then waxed. Walnut is the most complicated of the woods I use. After each hand sanding grit the handle is wiped with a damp paper towel and allowed to dry. This raises the grain or "whiskers" as Butch called em. Sand again and repeat until the whiskers do not rise anymore. Then you are ready for oil finishing. Walnut seems to take more coats of wet sanding for me then other woods but you are going till the pores are filled. Then off to the buffer. Pretty much what I do anyhoo on finishing wood handles.

Ironwood:

uwR8IxD.jpg

Stabilized wood:

I2t095H.jpg

Turkish Walnut:

6CskJpA.jpg

Just some eye candy, one of Butch's rifles, (well into 6 figures), when he told me what it was worth I didn't want to hold it anymore. This is one of only nineteen .700 H&Hs ever made.

aAAya6c.jpg

Light colored woods:

qjqVBsf.jpg

I got extremely frustrated with the snakewood. That’s the most difficult wood I’ve ever worked with. I had to drop down to a 36 grit belt to shape it. Then at the higher grits, it was very difficult to keep from burning it. I’ll probably put it back on the grinder to get it more consistent.
I have seen this with a number of woods .... including some "manufactured" laminated woods, and some stabilized woods. I have gone to major handle shaping with 36 or 60 grit by default. it is not too bad if you just keep a steady hand and a close eye on where you are placing the handle relative to the belt. Really slow speeds on the belt as you move up to 120, 200, 400. OH .... at 120 I am already starting to work only with the slack belt .... that helps the burning a LOT.

T
I have seen this with a number of woods .... including some "manufactured" laminated woods, and some stabilized woods. I have gone to major handle shaping with 36 or 60 grit by default. it is not too bad if you just keep a steady hand and a close eye on where you are placing the handle relative to the belt. Really slow speeds on the belt as you move up to 120, 200, 400. OH .... at 120 I am already starting to work only with the slack belt .... that helps the burning a LOT.
Thanks Cushing. I do the same. Usually start with 60 grit, except on that develish snakewood. I ran the VFD at 10%. Slack belt as well.

Last edited:
Back