1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with identifying Axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by George Verworren jr, May 31, 2018.

1. George Verworren jr

George Verworren jr

May 31, 2018
    Hi I'm new here can anyone help with identifying the makers mark or age of this Axe? Thanks so much! I don't know how to add photos yet.

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Click this link https://postimages.org/
    Hit choose image and choose your image
    Once uploaded scroll down to the hotlink for forums
    Hit the blue icon next to the hotlink for forums which will copy it
    Then paste it here.

If you follow these few simple instructions exscexa you'll have a full image here to be seen.

3. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Yankee Josh and Square_peg like this.
  4. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    The words stamped on the axe look like the Russian words:
    марка
    ОКО

...which Google translates to:
    mark
    EYE

5. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    Looks quite similar, but I don''t think thats from Remscheid Germany? They would use regular lettering not Russian. Don't forget that Germany and the russians wheren't the best of friends in those days, and still aren't to this day. Other then that, tooling had to be made specifically for that type of lettering, because it would be way to expensive to expensive otherwise?

EDIT: Or maybe not: I do see some thai scripting on a chisel:
    [​IMG]
    Would mean fairly recent, as the axe itself doesn't look that recent?

6. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    FWIW,
    "Russia helped liberate Germany in 1812-15 in the Napoleonic Wars, and the two were generally friendly for a century. Germany fought against Russia in World War I (1914-1918). Relations were warm in the 1920s, very cold in the 1930s, friendly in 1939-41, and then turned into war to the death 1941-45. In the 1920s both countries co-operated with each other in trade and (secretly) in military affairs..."
    (Wikipedia)

That "eye" trademark was registered in Germany (number 16464) in 1896, and the application was filed in 1875, according to WIPO Global Brand Database.

Name and address of the applicant or the holder of the registration:
    Carl Schlieper e.K.
    42659 Solingen, DE

[​IMG]

In the 1950s, Carl Schlieper K.G. also got that eye trademark registered in Malaysia and Singapore.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  7. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It figures, Solingen. That area has always been the hot spot for steel tools.

8. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    This is gonna be a bit of a stretch: After 1945 Comrades used to pack whole Nazi factories on the trains and reassemble them in Russia. https://www.rferl.org/a/the-classic-western-cars-copied-by-the-soviets/28468695.html.
    I doubt Soviets could get their hands on Remscheid factory, cause it was located in British occupation zone. However, after 1938 German industrialists took over factories in Czechoslovakia, Poland and started producing for German war effort. Maybe one of those factories run by Schlieper's engineers end up on the train heading east (Russians needed know-how to set up the factory, so some of Schlieper's employees were forced to move to USSR, too).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Square_peg likes this.
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It's possible. Moving factories isn't just the recent phenomena of moving US factories to low wage nations in Latin America and Asia. The victors of WWII all took factories and technologies from the losers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_of_Germany
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Press_Program
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

10. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

11. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    A photo showing the "Ironworks factory of Carl Schlieper in background, Batavia, Dutch East Indies [now Indonesia] circa 1917."

[​IMG]
    from Wikipedia

The Schlieper factory in Indonesia was evidently confiscated during WWII, according to this book:

[​IMG]

Square_peg likes this.
  12. Mark Ditlefsen

Mark Ditlefsen

Jun 3, 2018
    Hello...last year my 97 year old father passed away. he worked for Crown Zellerbach in the 1930's as a logger on the west end of the Olympic Peninsula. he dropped lots of huge old growth timber. while going through his various treasures, I found an axe with the only markings on the axe head being the name COLLINS inside of a rectangle. no other designs/insignias. how might one arrive at a date/age of an old axe?

the blade is about 3 1/4 inch...the back of the head is squared off.

Moonw and Square_peg like this.
  13. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That one is in worded in Spanish as well.

14. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Collins in a rectangle is a stamp that was used for about 100 years. You'd need some other distinguishing characteristics to even approximate the age. Good photos might help us pin it down to within a few decades.

Yankee Josh and Agent_H like this.
  15. protourist

protourist “It's just the normal noises in here !" Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Can you help with this Jersey, please?
    [​IMG]