Help with identifying Limited Edition Buck 124

Enzo’s Woodshop

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello everyone. I’ve lurked here for years, but I rarely post. I always enjoy seeing the wealth of cool Buck stuff and knowledge all of you possess.

I need help identifying a Buck 124 Frontiersman I got yesterday, and I figure you folks might be able to help.

I bought it off Amazon, from the Buck Knives Authorized seller. If you search “Buck 124 Frontiersman” on Amazon, it’s the main listing. As far as I’ve been able to tell, the seller is Buck Knives themselves. Not a third-party seller.

After all was said and done, I paid $195. That includes shipping. That’s pretty much the normal price of a standard Buck 124 these days. Which is to say, that is not a Limited Edition price (as far as I know).

I was expecting to receive a 2022-date stamp standard 124 in a yellow box.

Instead I received a 2021-date stamped “Limited Edition” 124 in a fancy black box.

I’ve searched and searched, and I cannot figure out what it is. The only 2021 limited edition 124 I’ve come across online is the ebony-handled Legacy version. Which is not this.

The knife has the normal black micarta handles, aluminum pommel and guard, and 420HC blade. The blade is marked “2021 LIMITED EDITION” which, from what I can tell, is the only thing that sets it apart from a normal 124. The blade is not serialized. I don’t know what makes this knife “limited.”

The sheath is American-made.

The box contains a small warranty info card, but has no Certificate of Authenticity that I’ve seen other Limited Edition knives come with.

The box barcode sticker says “0124BKSLE-B FRONTIERSMAN CAT. 3998 02/10/2022 MADE IN U.S.A.”

I will post pictures of everything below.

MP31Jwv.jpg

Kz9wztg.jpg

AvkgHka.jpg

RZFK4AU.jpg

4Vl4bub.jpg

Vcz6hGt.jpg

n6A5H56.jpg

d7M171b.jpg

The knife and sheath came completely pristine. Any slight scratches on the aluminum or finger marks on the blade are just from me. I’ve spent about six hours whittling with it so far.

only 2021 limited edition i remember on a 124 was the ebony handle one. that sure doesn't look like an ebony handle there. maybe a mistake of blade marked got mixed into regular production......im guessing here......

Agreed.
I don't think they sold as many 2021 LE knives as they thought they would.
So now they are using up the LE blades in regular production knives.

What you have is sorta cool.

Last edited:
Well that's a LE box..and I agree it's 'kinda' cool! I really like odd knives like that and I wouldn't consider the billboard a negative thing even on a user. Keep the box and paperwork if you have room. I've found most but not all blade etch's are fairly tough in actual use..even the gold. It does seem to be a lot of knive to whittle..

jbmonkey jbmonkey D Draleon GPyro GPyro bucksway bucksway

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. As it stands, I think what you folks are saying makes sense. Really explains why I’ve not been able to find online info pointing to what this knife is.

Now that it’s no longer the weekend, Buck’s customer service lines are open. I called them, and they had me email them the photos. The lady on the phone said that she couldn’t figure out what this knife is, and when she described my knife to her manager, he wanted to look at the photos and dig up information on the knife himself. They told me that they will call me back once they have an understanding of what this knife is.

I’ll be sure to let y’all know what they say! I’m predicting that they’ll echo what’s already been said here.

Well that's a LE box..and I agree it's 'kinda' cool! I really like odd knives like that and I wouldn't consider the billboard a negative thing even on a user. Keep the box and paperwork if you have room. I've found most but not all blade etch's are fairly tough in actual use..even the gold. It does seem to be a lot of knive to whittle..
bucksway bucksway
Yeah I think most folks would definitely agree that it is “a lot of knife to whittle” but for some reason, I absolutely prefer whittling with a large knife that fills my hand. I’ve probably spent upwards of 700 hours whittling with my Becker BK2. And easily have spent a couple thousand hours whittling with my Buck 119.

XWdRO1z.jpg

So far the 124 has whittled two drink stirrers, a small spreader, and a flat shallow spoon. The bowl of the spoon was carved with a Mora 164S.

So far I’m really enjoying whittling with it.

I guess Buck has a history of not wasting anything...... if they have a blade that's made, they will use it.

I like that line of thinking anyways.
Sometimes it makes for some interesting finds. Such as yours.

In the past they would use those extra parts for "build-outs".
But I guess those days are over.

It seems as tho you received something a bit out of the ordinary. :thumbsup:

I like it!

Seeing you spoons and stirrers makes me want to find a stick..
do it! :) there are very few activities I enjoy more than whittling. It is satisfying to turn random sticks and branches into functional items.

rYTNidN.jpg

I’m working on a couple more projects. One is a large darner, which are tools used for repairing socks or gloves. This one will be used for repairing some old wool socks. The other project is another butter spreader.

Last edited:

It's things like that, that makes me wish that I could read their minds... my dog had a peculiar habit of every so often, he'd run full tilt to the end of our long driveway, do a 180 degree pivot while growling, run full tilt back to the garage door, and then pivot around and do it all over again. After a few "laps", he was done and quite happy. 🤔

It's things like that, that makes me wish that I could read their minds... my dog had a peculiar habit of every so often, he'd run full tilt to the end of our long driveway, do a 180 degree pivot while growling, run full tilt back to the garage door, and then pivot around and do it all over again. After a few "laps", he was done and quite happy. 🤔
Zoomies is what we call that!! 😁
John 🍻

Back