1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with identifying Tomahawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by crbnSteeladdict, Jun 4, 2018.

1. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I think I need to create separate thread to reach bigger audience. Does anybody recognize the shape of this hawk and can help ID the maker? I appreciate any help. Thanks[​IMG]
    The black head weights 18 ounces, and it length is 6 1/4 inches[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    It's obviously cast or drop forged, and may likely be from India.
    There's a sight I think called Kentucky muzzle loader or something that carries lots of this stuff and you may find one on there if you can find the site of course.

crbnSteeladdict likes this.
  3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
  4. Toooj

Toooj

Aug 8, 2006
    crbnSteeladdict,

I can't help you with the larger "hawk", but I may be able to help you with the smaller one.
    Please call me at (716) 676-5527.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
    V.P. of Engineering
    Ontario Knife Company

Square_peg likes this.
  5. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    In that case I will attach more picture of the smaller hawk
    Its head weights 8 ounces and length is also 6 1/4 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Toooj

Toooj

Aug 8, 2006
    crbnSteeladdict,

Please call me. I'd just as soon discuss the hawk privately first. Then you can post publicly after if you like.
    I'll be in office today (June6). But then out of office Thursday & Friday (June6&7). Back on Monday (June11).
    Could be an interesting find you have there.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
    V.P. of Engineering
    Ontario Knife Company

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thank you Sir
    I will try to reach you this afternoon

8. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I would also be interested in the history of that Tomahawk :)

9. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I would like to thank @Toooj and Mr Joseph Bradley from KA-BAR for invaluable help in my quest for more info regarding small tomahawk.
    Even though I was advised about existence of Lewis Tomahawk and connection to KA-BAR, I made mistake and searched for Louis Tomahawk. http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper 15/PortVille NY Review/PortVille NY Review 1948-1951/PortVille NY Review 1948-1951 - 0522.pdf
    I was looking for pictures of KA-BAR tomahawk with a spike. Later on I widened my search and stumbled on pictures of
    [​IMG]
    From the description I realized my spelling mistake and search became easier.

[​IMG]

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-throwing-tomahawk-lewis-mfg-1903831668
    I also have found:

[​IMG]
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/balanced-throwing-tomahawk-vintage-1787612315
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/steel-tomahawk-throwing-axe-lqqk-1819238678
    I have not found any connection between Lewis Mfg Co/SHELDON-WELLS CO and Balanced Throwing Tomahawk
    I think my hawk resemble the last one ... Not sure 100%: It is missing mark "Italy"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    5D702DBD-EEC3-4CA0-83F4-ED55AAA6B4DD.jpeg
    Thank you for the history, mine looks a lot like the last one also

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    crbnSteeladdict likes this.
  11. Toooj

Toooj

Aug 8, 2006
    crbSteeladdict,

Good research.
    The KA-BAR Tomahawks forged by Wally Lewis were very rare. Mr. Lewis only made 33 "Hawks" for KA-BAR. But as Bernard Levine is want to remind us; "Rare does not necessarily mean valuable".
    Lewis made a mix of Spike and hammer poll "Hawks" for KA-BAR. It seems Mr. Lewis had some financial difficulties. He sold the "company" and sadly committed suicide.
    Your Hawk maybe one made by Shelton-Wells as there seems to be less finishing on yours as opposed to the highly rounded and finished KA-BAR models. However, the pattern outline seems to be exactly the same.
    On a side note: West Clarksville is a small Burg (?) north of Portville, NY and 10 miles south of Cuba, NY (the town where I live). The pad of Lewis' forge shop is still present but the building is not. In addition to the forge, Lewis operated a general store named Windsor and Lewis. That store is still in existence. Now named Sloppy Joe's; it is a post office, restaurant, general store and meeting place for C&W jam sessions.
    Hope all of this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
    V.P. of Engineering
    Ontario Knife Company

Galeocerdoshark likes this.
  12. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
  13. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thank you for this additional info. The story of KA-BAR Tamahawk have just become juicier.