Help with info on these two knives

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by lmcq784, Jan 15, 2020.

1. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Hello all!

I was fortunate enough to score these gems from the exchange earlier, and want to be better educated.

First blade: I'm told, and it does look like, it is a prototype of the Swamp Rat RMD, which I'm in love with. What I'm not sure on is the color of the coating and the handle material. My guess is Tanker Grey (which I've never seen myself, in the flesh), and black G-10. But I've also never seen Black paper micarta either, and won't know how to tell the difference. Can someone help please?

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second blade: My research tells me this is a Rodent Trail with Orange and Green G-10. How is this different from a Rodent Solution with Trailing point?

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot!

sixplymaple likes this.
  2. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I am gunna guess that is black paper on the RMD....the color almost looks midnight blue....but not too clear on that.
    The other....No idea. But you're correct on the G-10 color.

lmcq784 likes this.
  3. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Rodent trail on top Rodent Solution below
    [​IMG]

lmcq784 and Béma like this.
  4. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks for both replies, guys!

Thanks for confirming the rodent trail... So it's just a little bigger/longer than the rodent solution :thumbsup: awesome!

The RMD Prototype is definitely not midnight blue (since I do have those)... But I agree that it's got a blueish tint to the grey (compared to a very neutral grey of my hammered silver blades). My midnight blue blades are very krinkly, a much darker and richer blue, and has a deep metallic property to them... This one is much more grey, and is a flat color. I don't know many of the colors that came before... So I don't know how to ID that coating color :confused:

5. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    That RMD is nice for sure brother! Maybe it's Tanker Grey?

6. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    That's what I'm not sure about because I've never seen tanker grey myself, and don't know if there are other grey colored coatings out there from Busse's past. ;)

Also, what distinguishes black paper micarta from black g-10? I have no idea, just looking to be educated. :thumbsup:

7. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    If the ratmandu proto looks almost battleship grey, that’s tanker grey. The tanker grey color has been through a couple variations through the years.
    The rodent trail is custom with satin and orange green g10.
    Both great knives !!!! Congrats

Black g10 will have some greyish white in it. Black paper is solid black and sometimes has a light sandpaper texture.

lmcq784 likes this.
  8. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Looks like tanker grey to me.

Garth

Jaxx, duramax and lmcq784 like this.
  9. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    duramax likes this.
  10. David Brown

David Brown Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :) Moderator

Jun 4, 2001
    Just a FYI the RMD Proto is longer than a standard RMD :)

lmcq784 likes this.
  11. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up! Yeah this one is about 3/4" to 1" longer than the rest of my RMDs :D

12. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    So, functionality, what's the difference between paper micarta and g-10?

I know canvas micarta gets grippier because of the exposed fibers, while G-10 seems harder, slicker, and is impervious to most chemicals.

What's paper micarta like?

13. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Paper micarta is like canvas micarta or linen micarta.

14. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Paper micarta has a smoother texture, almost no visible grain at all. Feels "softer" in hand than (smoother?) Than g10, or canvas or linnen micarta.

Paper micarta is not a tough as micarta or g10. Avoid dropping it on concrete, and you will be fine!

lmcq784 and duramax like this.