1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with making a ZT0562 show scale

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Pendexter, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Pendexter

Pendexter

Aug 20, 2018
    Hey BF, I've been slowly but surely modifying my ZT 0562CF to make it my own.

I got a piece of 1/8" zebrawood that I'm using to make a show side scale to replace the carbon fiber. Here's a photo of it installed. Not the best photo, just messing around while taking a hike. This is only a proof of concept piece, I bought a 2 ft strip.

[​IMG]

The problem is that the action is horrible. With the carbon fiber, there is zero blade play and it drops freely.

With the wood scale in, it's a violent shake to get it to drop if I tighten out all the blade play.

I eyeballed the scale with a Dremel, drill, and belt sander. No drill press or counterbore bits for me, unfortunately.

I didn't think that the tolerances would matter since the scale is sitting on top of the steel liner, but it definitely makes a difference.

Here are my questions:
    For curiosity sake, does anyone know why small differences in scale thickness would result in poor action? Does it have to do with the pivot screw depth?

Do I need to get out the calipers and make the depths exact to get the action on point?

How do the pro/semi-pro scale makers create their scales? Is it all CNC?

Do you have any advice on how I can make a better scale at home?

Thanks for reading.

2. Pendexter

Pendexter

Aug 20, 2018
    Figured it out. It was the (3) body screws. They weren't light up properly so they were putting torque on the knife.

Once I increased the size of the openings and relieved the stress, it got drop shutty.

Time to make a new scale with more accurate penetrations.

3. Night Rider

Night Rider

Apr 16, 2018
    You made that bad boy your own for sure:cool:. Nice work and :thumbsup::thumbsup: for figuring it out your alignment issue, sometimes that's half the fun but I bet you pulled some hair out in the process LOL. I just started playing around with Heat anodizing on a couple of $20 SOG's with stainless scales and it's been a fun learning experience and therapeutic as well. Good luck and thanks for giving me another project to think about

Pendexter likes this.
  4. Pendexter

Pendexter

Aug 20, 2018
    I think mods are the most fun part of the hobby for me.

Post some pics when you finish your project.

5. Night Rider

Night Rider

Apr 16, 2018
    ^^ I will soon as I make something worthy. My first attempt was ok with some nice bronze and blue coloring but the heat source I was using " A nap gas torch " was too hot and the flame tip was too wide so I'm going to pick up something more suited like one of those Dab rig torches and another $20 SOG from WallyMart. I'll post something soon