help with mean street price/value please

dmc

hello all, my first busse forum post because i traded into a busse mean street this weekend. the dealer had what seemed to be very high prices marked on the 3 mean street knives he had. his 'standard' model was priced at $325! that seems high but i can't seem to find what a 'standard' mean street goes for. i had a microtech that he really wanted that i had about $195 into, we ended up trading even. the mean street i got appears to be a newer model with the black blade coating, kydex, tubular pins and textured black grip. what does this model realistically sell for? and second, can he really get $325 for a base model or is his pricing just a 'scheme' for the unwary? he had a 'custom' mean street with a double edege, spear point, bead blast with leather and he wanted $425 for that and his infi battle mistress was marked at $400 as well!? any help on how these busse knives are really supposed to be priced? can dealers really get that much for them?....thanks from a new busse owner with no hair on his left arm...dmc (duane)

Chip, I would not fret too much....the thing is, as Andy will tell you here also, the Mean Streets & the straight handled Battle Mistress' are no longer in production, hence, the value has increased to the collecter side. Case in point.......my last 2 Battle Mistress' sold for $375(straight handle) with no questions asked. A Mean Street I had sold at the show here in town for $280 and I really did not even mean to take it with me. I thought $280 was high but it was what someone was looking for
smile.gif

I also saw A. Prisco move an original Steel Heart at the Blade show in Atlanta for a little over $800 in about 30 minutes! The E-Models are priced at regular retail as shown on Andy's site.

------------------
Knives & Things
Mike Payne

Mike,
I didn't realize the Mean Street was out of production. My fault, sorry.
Take care,

[This message has been edited by Chip (edited 09-11-2000).]

I am no expert but I don't think that the Mean Street is out of production but maybe it is(?) The new Mean Street is coming out in 3/16" INFI instead of .230". I just got a new Mean Street from Andy Prisco, which is a little different then even the new ones. Mine is .1875" (3/16) no coating, no holes in talon or tang end and has a very cool black micarta diamond pattern handle. Like guns, knives are worth whatever you can get for them.
Originally posted by Chip:
Mike,
I didn't realize the Mean Street was out of production. My fault, sorry.
Take care,

[This message has been edited by Chip (edited 09-11-2000).]

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington

Oops, I meant Duane, not Chip!
Correct me if I'm wrong and perhaps the Master Prisco can respond as well. I believe the 1/4" MS is out of production and no more orders are being taken to produce them. You are right Ron, the "new" Mean Street(3/16") is coming out in limited production in Bead Blast and black handle. Very cool little knife.....nice and thin as well.

Busse Basics

------------------
Knives & Things
Mike Payne

[This message has been edited by mpayne (edited 09-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mpayne (edited 09-12-2000).]

Back