Help with my first throwing knives.

I'm new at this whole throwing knife thing, and I'd like some suggestions. Do you recommend blade or handle first throwing? Any techniques you all prefer? Thanks. :confused:

I use the blade first method, I was told a long time ago by a knife maker that throwing the handle first puts added stress on the point of the blade. As for tech. I use what you might call a baseball pitch, it starts about ear level and the knife is released at eye level. Hope this will help:)

Hi fasdar,
Welcome to the forums. The way that you throw your knife will eventually be a personal preference. Most people have seen all of the movies where the knife is thrown by the blade and many will then go to a B& M knife shop or find a small throwing knife in one of the many catalogs. They will then try to emulate those scenes in the movies by grabbing the blade and hurling it at a target of sorts. Most of what is available commercially will be too small to do any serious throwing. They will then think that they are not cut out to be knife throwers or that is is too hard to learn and will then put them in a drawer never to be seen again until that next movie or television show stirs their interest again. There are only a few custom makers who specialize in quality competetion style knives for those who are serious about the sport. In the last 6 or seven years since the American Knife Throwers Alliance has brought throwing competetions into the public eye, the knives that are available commercially have gotten a little better, but the majority of the serious throwers still depend on the larger heavier custom throwing knives. Do a search here on this forum and you will find some great resources for knife throwing. Try to find either a thrower in your area or try to attend one of the larger contest closest to you. Feel free to e mail me if I can help you locate a contest in your area.

I normally hold the handle when throwing, unless I'm at a distance where I need the extra half rotation that a blade hold usually yields. Cold Steel makes some inexpensive and adequate throwers (the larger sizes). Also check out www.hbforge.com for a modestly priced leather handle thrower made by a small family forge. Mine is sturdy and throws well.

Just my 2 cents, but as for a beginner throwing knife, I kinda like the first generation Hibben thrower 10". I throw it baseball style and grip the handle. I just do this for fun, so the opinions of the others might be better researched.:p

I usually throw by holding the handle and the knife sticks vertically. Throwing the blade horizontally puts more stress on the tip. There is also a vertical blade throw by holding the blade, sharp end froward, palm towards the target but this throw seeems to only work for clip point knives and not spear points. Check out Gil Hibbens soft-back book on knife throwing and it will explain a lot. Worth every penny ($7.95) and it saved me a lot of frustration. I also learned you should use a large knife over 10" in length if you are a beginner. Have fun.

I came across a CS True Flight in a certain knife shop, it was labeled as a "survival" knife, being shelved among the fixed blades and miles away from other throwers on display.

That got me thinking. Say i didn't know the TF was a thrower and a salesman handed me the same knife, he could have easily convinced me it's a bargain CS utility blade.

So what qualities contribute to make a thrower? Do they harden the steel to a lesser extend as to absorb more impact?

I hope this is not too dumb a question, please bear with me.

Most throwers are not tempered as hard as normal knife steels so the blade won't break during repeated throws. However, this makes the knife more difficult to keep a sharp edge on. Another factor with throwers is the handle material. You want a handle that can take some serious impacts, so wood, horn, and other brittle materials are not a good idea for a thrower. Most throwers also have a fairly long and straight design since curved knives usually don't throw as well.

BTW, years ago I bought the CS TF thrower thinking it was a survival knife! Not until later when I became more educated about knives did I happily realize what it really was. I wasn't at all dissapointed since I got the knife fairly cheap at a gunshow and it throws pretty decent. :)

Thanks~~ let's bake the TF in oven :D

But really, I'm tempted to get a couple of TFs and start looking for a poor tree....there's no end to what we can learn in life~

Take care~ :)

hello Friends, I've throwing knives since 95, I only throw by handle, and I never hurt my hands, I think to throw by blade is danger because it's sharped.

Back