Help with pivot pin, please

Need a little help, please. I recently acquired a Buck Mantis. The knife is extremely hard to open, so, I thought I’d loosen the pivot pin. When I put the torx to the pivot pin, the entire pin turns. (I don’t have two torx bits…one for each side of the pin.) However, in turning the pin counterclockwise, even though both heads of the pin turn, the pin gets loose…so much so that when the blade is closed, I can grasp both heads of the pin and turn it with my hands…but not so loose that the pin offers to come apart. At this point the blade is easier to open. But if I keep turning the pin in the same direction, it goes from loose to very tight.
I can’t understand why the pin would turn and get loose and then get tight. Am I about to mess something up?
What's the trick to doing this?

Thanks,
Van

vsanks, I have had this same prob. with mt Cutback. You will need that extra torx set. (~6.00 at Home Depot) What I do is, take one wrench and turn the pivot till it is at it's loosest point. Take the second wrench and hold other side of pivot, tighten pivot to desired action and this is where it usually works for me. On my Cutback, if I turn the pivot with one wrench,(with the blade closed) I can see the blade move left and right of center. I like my Cutback, but this type of fit and finish inconsistencies leave a lot to be desired. Just keep "adjusting" it until you find the sweet spot. You can't hurt anything.:thumbup:

WWWells20,

Thanks for the response. I couldn’t figure what was happening. I can understand if the pin spins around and around in it’s hole. But I couldn’t understand why it would only turn a quarter revolution…and then get really tight…or loose…depending on which way you turn it. It never occurred to me it might be due to inconsistencies in fit and finish. I’ll get the second torx and go to work.

Thanks,
Van

What I think has happened is , your pivot was most likely held in place with something similiar to Loctite.

Anyone else second this ?

You can also open the blade and put pressure on the cutting edge while using your torx driver to loosen the pivot. By puting pressure on the cutting edge you will bind the pivot a little and this should work for most folders. Hope this helps!

Back