• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Help with tight Kydex?

Just got a Hobbit Fang I purchased on the forum. Love the knife!
The problem is that the Kydex sheath is way too tight. It takes a big jerk to release the knife. Is there a way for me to loosen the grip the sheath has on the knife? I love how my KISS comes out of its sheath and would love to have something near that with this.
Thanks for any help.

Rob

Yea.

You can alter the fit of the sheath by heating it over a stove burner until it is soft, then wearing gloves, pinch the material back into a fit with the knife that is not so tight.

Watching someone make Kydex is good too, it will help give you an idea of what all is going on.

E-mail me privately if I can give more details, I probably won't see this thread again.

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. Sorry about the wait, my review and interview should be online within two weeks, look for it right here at BladeForums.com.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Be Excellent

The steam coming out of a teakettle spout is sometimes a more "concentrated" heat source, and easier to control for a beginner (like me!). I've had good results that way...the basic idea is, SLOW IS GOOD, or you end up with a bunch of "tactical mush" rapidly hardening into abstract sculpture.

Just steam whatever seems tight and do a few draws/reinserts. You'll have to dry the knife right away then let the sheath fully dry inside, especially since your piece isn't stainless.

Jim March

Thanks for the replies guys! It sounds like I might be able to handle the steam. Anything with flame I will screw up. Guess I'll give it a shot right now.

Rob

Use a heat gun..If you have a cone attachment it concentrates the heat to your tight spots. Also I use tin foil around the area I do not want to heat.

I just tried a hot blow dryer...and it worked perfectly. Too about 3 minutes to loosen it enough to where I wanted it.

Thanks for all the help. Bladeforums (and -ites) rocks!

Rob

[This message has been edited by Robert Monteux (edited 03 March 1999).]

I am a bit late with this.....but someone may find it usefull.
My MD Operator was quite difficult to deploy, too. I didn't want to risk damaging the sheath (I can burn water) so I tried a short squirt of Armorall on the inside bearing surfaces. Worked fine and further mods were unnecessary.

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343
Money : spend it before it is all gone.

Back