Help

I have a Randall model 14 in stainless and I can't get an edge on it no matter what I do. It wasn't sharp right out of the box so I started working on it. I have tried high quality whetstones, a Lansky system, and various diamond hones. I have used the sharpening method recommended on the Randall website. I don't know what else to do except use my Dremel tool, but I hate to resort to power. The edge is no different now than it was when new. It is as though I haven't even worked on it. By the way, what kind of stainless does Randall use and is it forged or stock removal ? Can someone offer some suggestions ? Thank you very much in advance for responding.

Hi and welcome. It's forged 440B/C. Do not take a Dremel tool to it! There are many maker/hobbiests here that could help you, or sharpen it for you. Use the search engine - or, go to the maintenance forum (oh, see ya found it), or send it back to RMK with a note to make it freakin' scary sharp. As to your question tho'; I use crock sticks to align the edge (the carbides), then strop it sharp. Hope that helps.

Thanks Rich; it was you that I was thinking about in my post - just didn't know if I should link directly to your thread...

Back