Hemp wrap handle question for lanyard tube

Question for the more seasoned than myself

I'm doing another hemp wrap handle here soon and want a lanyard tube on this one.

My question is, without epoxying the tube in place and wrapping around it, can I drill through the hemp without it splitting? I use system 3 marine grade wood epoxy to seal the hemp with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hardest part is not having a hole that looks ratty from the drill.

Drill your tang and backing scales before you wrap. Wrap over the hole and slip a toothpick through the center to mark the hole. Epoxy and let cure. Use a drill or a dremel to open the hole close to size. Here is the important part... Heat a tapered rod(I use a long punch) and "melt" the rest of the hole to size. If you have the rod too hot, you'l burn the hole and ruin the epoxy. Taper one side of your tube, epoxy up and slide it in carefully. Let it cure but not fully harden, then file it down flush. After that I like to run a tapered rod in a drill press at high speed to burnish the inside and give it a bit of a flare.

Drill your tang and backing scales before you wrap. Wrap over the hole and slip a toothpick through the center to mark the hole. Epoxy and let cure. Use a drill or a dremel to open the hole close to size. Here is the important part... Heat a tapered rod(I use a long punch) and "melt" the rest of the hole to size. If you have the rod too hot, you'l burn the hole and ruin the epoxy. Taper one side of your tube, epoxy up and slide it in carefully. Let it cure but not fully harden, then file it down flush. After that I like to run a tapered rod in a drill press at high speed to burnish the inside and give it a bit of a flare.

Rick thank you! This is actually the blade that got me thinking. I follow you on instagram and saw this on there.

I will try this method and keep my fingers crossed i do it correctly the first time!

Thanks again! Your work is some of my favorite

This was great advice. Got around to getting 2 done in this manner

Thanks again!

25582f53b40bcedd06f0b22c5e63fc8a.jpg

Back