Hemp Wrapped Fiddlebacks - Rusticwrap Review & Photos

Just came in today. I'm digging it... those that got 'em, let's see 'em

Nessmuk, 1/8" A2

25982063283_90c6a52aeb_c.jpg

A quick and dirty review of the new Fiddleback Forge Rusticwraps. The TL:DR version….get you one.

Our first sightings of the hemp wrapped knives among the Fiddleback Forge family of knife makers came from Allen Surls of W.A. Surls Knives. On March 30, 2016 Allen introduced the rusticwrap on a pair of puukkos. The knives were an existing profile that he wanted to give a more rustic appeal after learning handle wrapping techniques from fellow artisan Rick Marchand. Since those first pair of rusticwrap knives sold, Allen has had repeated hemp wrapped offerings on his weekly Wednesday sales thread in his Bladeforums subforum. Each knife is attentively wrapped around a leather backing then soaked in epoxy before a light finish sanding. Allen describes it as giving the blade a “useful, light, “grippy” feel.”

On November 17th fellow Fiddleback sharks discovered during the Friday sales thread preview chumming that several of the popular Fiddleback profiles were also hemp wrapped and ready for the feeding frenzy. A Nessmuk, Handyman, Hiking Buddy and Runt were served up to the hungry fishies. I was fortunate enough to claim the Nessmuk from that batch. The following are a handful of photos and some initial thoughts on the rusticwrap Nessmuk #1

2016 0415 24 – Nessmuk w/ hemp wrap over leather liners, no pinstripes, SFT Convex on spalted ⅛” A2

On the cutting mat (0.5” grid) paired with a 5/32” O1 tapered tang Nessmuk sporting Ruby burlap over black/white

26538993651_a1106a8f8d_b.jpg

The rear ends

25999300634_58107ea81c_b.jpg

Along the spines

25999305164_630537d60d_b.jpg

From the front

26001509863_21013d4c48_b.jpg

26001505693_ccf6094091_b.jpg

Balance points

26020280273_fe8d8135d7_b.jpg

Muk sandwich

26604831645_0d5c9a545a_b.jpg

Just an aside on the Ruby Muk: I never got around to posting a review so I'll share this here. I don't know how much of a rarity this one is, but do check out that squared spine. This Nessmuk is part of a matching Ruby burlap Muk set. The others all have chamfered spines; however this Nessmuk slipped through somehow. It throws excellent sparks on a metal match.

26331581890_016975d909_b.jpg

In hand. For reference my hand measures spread pinky to thumb 9.75“ and tip of middle finger to first wrist crease 7.50“ - or a large glove

26539034661_f9a8834a23_b.jpg

26511765642_bc41fabc92_b.jpg

Skeeter picked a good spot to fill up

26331570320_9136f7a50e_b.jpg

Lanyard hole

25999327424_a283b8dddf_b.jpg

Whoops, just a tad off... it is a rustic

25999345824_9d4c162779_b.jpg

Looks to be some type of scribe line that wanted to be a PITA

26511794102_a17a0f34bf_b.jpg

Look at that grippy texture.

26539061921_0ef1b7b9b1_b.jpg

26578662686_e0184b960d_b.jpg

The cavity in the lanyard hole area runs a bit deep. This may create a possible weak area on the hemp wrapping that covers a section of the hole cutout. It also forms a good pocket to fill up with dirt and other gunk.

26578669346_bc45ff2e34_b.jpg

26604888885_246e032281_b.jpg

I find the hemp wrap to be very visually appealing and holding its own against some of my favorite handle material, burlap micarta. The rustic look is fitting for this style knife and gives it a lot of character.

25999358574_91e38eb6f2_b.jpg

25999355964_2d0e620f7f_b.jpg

26002322733_98d1cdbee6_b.jpg

Things that I like about the new rustic wraps. Aside from looking awesome, they are very economical when compared to a standard custom Fiddleback knife. The rusticwrapped Nessmuk in this review was purchased for $175. Compared to a custom Nessmuk that ranges in price from $300-400 depending on options, the rusticwrap Fiddlebacks are an exceptional value. I happen to like the tool steels and this is a good way to buy your preferred Fiddleback profiles at around production knife prices. Plus they retain that amazing spalted steel that you will not get on the production Fiddleback models.

The handles themselves have a lot of grippy texture, and the soaking in epoxy should make for a durable handle. Despite the lack of contouring many have come to value on custom Fiddleback knives, I find the flat wrapping to be comfortable (think flat micarta slabs on many production fixed blades). Some may find less appeal in the more aggressive texturing of the wrapped handles, but I think it will serve one of its purposes of a more secure purchase on the knife handle.

As with most Fiddleback knives I have handled, the balance of the knife always feels good in hand. Additionally, the wrapped handle noticeably reduces the weight giving way to a more nimble tool. I did not have access to a digital scale for this, but a spring loaded scale showed this rusticwrap ⅛” Nessmuk at a hair over 5 ounces while the 5/32” ruby Nessmuk a hair under 7 ounces. A ⅛” Nessmuk was reported weighing 6.1 ounces in the following thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170507

My only concern would potentially be with the wrapping across the drilled hole for the lanyard tube. I do not know if there is another way to wrap this so that this possible weak point is removed and also eliminating the “pocket” formed. The handle itself will not have the same perceived quality as the customs knives if you tap on them, the rusticwraps resonates a sound quality to that of plastic. Although this should not be too surprising since it is after all epoxy soak fiber over leather. Individuals with exceptionally large hands might find more comfort in the more filling handles of the custom Fiddlebacks. Other than that this is a solid offering from the Forge and something new to add to the collections if the hemp wrapped styles of knives are of interest to you.

Last edited:
much better than my sale thread pic!

i dont have a Fiddleback yet but here is mine from Allen
IMG_20160415_173649_zpsftoqzksr.jpg

edit

hope you don't mind it's not a Fiddleback but we have only shipped 4 so far.

Last edited:
Question, I like the way the hemp wrap looks and think it would be very grippy, but I can't tell are the handles contoured at all?

Question, I like the way the hemp wrap looks and think it would be very grippy, but I can't tell are the handles contoured at all?

the smaller knives like these only have a leather liner wrapped

its more of a flat wrap. its not as hand filling as the shaped handles we are accustomed to.....but its very nice in the hand

:thumbup: Snagged this Epic Mad Max Arapaima, and this sweet little Stingray super slicer from Allen. Sorry don't have any of my own pics yet, and they probably wouldn't look as good as these anyway. :D

Last edited:

In Gus's case that would be considered a larger knife and the handle has some contour to it

That Arapaima is so cool. I think the rustic wraps look real good on patterns like that big chopper, the muk patterns, and the little puukko knives. Even that 3 finger joe on Friday would be the great little utility blade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review and all the additional pictures. I'm definitely going to look into getting one of these. They look great!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Great review! Thanks. I am waiting for this guy to arrive next week...

This one is heading my way this week! Can't wait to see how it feels in the hand....

I missed that minimuk twice... but the 3 Finger Joe is heading my way so it's all good. I was surprised that it was the last one to go.

I missed that minimuk twice... but the 3 Finger Joe is heading my way so it's all good. I was surprised that it was the last one to go.

me too
in my mind its the second best pattern to get the wrap behind the Nessmuk,,,the blade shape and style fit it perfectly

I'll admit I was a little disappointed when it appeared again, but in the end I think the 3FJ is a better fit for me. Needless to say I'm excited and can't wait to put it to use!

I'm glad y'all are liking these. I'm happy we're doing them. We learned the technique from Rick Marchand. He has been using it for years, so it is a prooven technique. They are a lot lighter, and a cheaper way to own handmade Fiddlebacks. With this economy the way it is (#*%^B$(#^%) I thought a lower price point handmade was called for.

Back