Henckels International Classic Kitchen Knives

Does anyone have any experience with Henckels International Classic kitchen knives? My sister has a 7 piece block set and a steak knife set on her wedding registry, and naturally I gravitated toward the knife section of her list, but I can't tell from the pics on the internet why these knives are so much cheaper than the 4 star and Pro S series (it's just a little more than half the cost of these). I think they're made in Spain instead of Germany, but does anyone know anything about the quality of these knives or difference in the manufacturing process?

Thanks,

Ryan

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

Ryan:
Buy her the Pro S series.She will be happy you did.Bought some for my honey.Loves them.

------------------

have a"knife"day

Yeah, the Pro S series is what I have in my kitchen, and they're great. I was thinking about just buying the Pro S set and asking her to remove the International Series set from her registry, but thought I'd ask here about the International line first, just to make sure. When I bought the Pro S knives a while ago, I don't think the International Series existed. From the pictures on the internet they look exactly the same as my Pro S series, but I don't want to get them and find out that they're cheap imitations.

But then again, if they're good, I could afford to buy the International Series set and a nice folder for the groom too, at the same price as the Pro S series set!

Ryan

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

Ryan, I have an 8 inch chef knife in the international series and I've been very happy with it. I think mine was made in Brasil but I've also seen some that were made in Spain. They are forged just like the Pro line. I'm not going to tell you that that are as good the Four Star or Proline but if price is a consideration, I think they are an excellent value. First the list price is considrably less than the German made knives plus Kohl's and Macy's are always running sales with 40% the International line.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

I gave my mom a International paring knife for Christmas, because they never have any sharp paring knives. it takes a wicked edge and holds it well, and costs about half of the PRO S series. I have sharpened PRO S series stuff for people, and the international and pro s took the same edge. Most people can't tell the difference between a good kitchen knife and a great one, and most people still use the knife, even after the edge is dulled. Upkeep on an international series might be a tad softer and easier to touch up. A strop with white rouge on it works wonders! I also have 2 tramontina brand kitchen knives, 6" utility and 4" parer. Same style and looks as the henkels with the 3 rivetted handle. Cuts very nice, holds an edge very well, and costs half of the henkles. I like the tramontina knives and use them regularyly at college along with the Santoku/cleaver I made for myself out of 52100/410 laminate from Daryl Meier. that is another route to go. Get a custom kitchen knife for most of the duties, like a 6" utility or 8" chef, and get the international or tramontina professional line of the blades that are less likely to be used. I find that I use my santoku, 7" blade for most everything except small paring chores where the big knife is just too big.

A third choice is the Kit method. Many places sell kitchen knife sets for pretty decent prices. I think www.jantzsupply.com sells them, as does TKS, and Kovals and K&G. They can pick the blades and sizes they want, handle color, etc, and are pretty easy to make up. I think i saw a set for $70, including handle material and stuff. Look for 440C steel with these kits, or get stuff that has been cryo'd, like from TKS. Edge holding is much better than the non cryo'd stuff. If u want more info about the kits or custom stuff, let me know!!!

The set you are talking about is a "One-man" set (number of men on the side of the blade). It is a thinner stock, lower grade steel, made in Brazil (not Germany), with plactic handles.

That being said, they are still good knives and you won't go wrong with them, especially as a starter set.

The "Two-man" knives are of a thicker stock, made in Germany, higher quality and have either enclosed tangs or wooden handles.

Hope this helps.

Back