Hep Me

If you were asked to suggest a 'fighting knife' to a Marine about to be deployed to an exciting area - with the understanding that he was asking for a fighting, and not a combat/utility knife, what would you say?

Assume a reasonable budget of $100 US.

db

A few suggestions...

For about $30 over $100, I'd point him right here, to the COld Steel Military Classic, since 1sks have a really good price on this excellent style. (and suggest he invest another $30 or so in a kydex sheath, but that's just my pickyness.)
http://www.1sks.com/store/cold-steel-r1-military-classic.html

http://www.1sks.com/store/camillus-cqb-3.html
The newest version of the Camillus CQB-1 would be another reccomendation.

http://www.1sks.com/store/sog-s25-desert-dagger.html
Or a SOG desert dagger perhaps.

Or perhaps a Boker Applegate Fairbairn dagger

Maybe one of the Greco knifes at www.bladeart.com would fit the bill also.

Thats all I could think of/come up with for around $100

The Ka Bar of course. Young warriors have used them for years with success. There would be nothing better than to jam that fine piece of traditional steel under the chin of a foe in combat, except of course to shoot them from a distance, or destroy them with CAS or artillery while drinking coffee on a distant OP, my favorite.

Have to agree with Robert.

KA-BAR. For $100 you may even be able to buy 2 if you shop carefully. Antique and 2nd hand stores often have knives on their shelves. I've found some classic KA-BAR fighting knives in places like this for $25 to $35 dollars.

Go w/ the Ka-Bar. The D2 version is available in your price range.

I'm confused why you are being so specific on Fighting knife only? Does he have a knife that he can use for heavy hard utility use?

My understanding is that most military blades spend much more time in the utility chores rather than the fights.

Just curious :D

I'm just the messenger. Eric, I agree with your understanding, but John was very clear on what he wants.

Since it's him going and not me, I agreed to pass on his request without comment.

db

FOr a total fighter go for a Fairbairn-Sykes or Applegate -Fairbarin. If you want a Utility/fighter liek the KaBar/ Marine COmbat knife go for the Fairsword/smatchet. Fairbairn, skes, and Applegate knew how to design fighting knives and they were used to good effect in the second world war. Rex Applegate felt that the Kabar was a big mistake and that the Fairsword/Smatchet should have been adopted. GOod Luck adn God Bless you. First in last to now. U.S. Marines (Never was one but love em none the less.)

Ek number 3. I have one. Black Paracord wrap, BJK made. Used a little, the guy I bought it from sharped it some (???) and it has the typical BJK Ek yellowing, I guess they musta varnished the blade a little.

Email me, well under $100, like $60 shipped to him, great grip, great blade and truly designed for killing in the USMC fashion. I will ensure it is razor edged for him and put a little extra WD40 on the blade, the lanyard is fully intact and the point is perfect.

Eks were designed for killing and are super strong.

ParkerWentzel@yahoo.com

I would go with the Cold Steel Peacekeeper. Well actually I do.
I tend to swap the knives in my kit depending on what I'm going to be doing. 8 time out of 10 I go with a utilitarian design like the Sissi knife or a falkniven but if I need / perceive the need for a pure fighter I go for the double edge. The Applegate would be a fine choice as well.

I encourage anyone that is adding a knife to thier equipment to be sure the sheath can be worn as first line gear. Ideally the knife should be carried on the trouser belt or some other rig that doesn't get in the way of TA 50 but is readilly accessable if gear has to be ditched.

Back